Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisFerri

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
New York
I must say I love the look of Yosemite. Like iOS 7 I was a little skeptical at first but then it sets in and it starts to grow on you. The Finder Icon is the only one I'm not digging. Not a fan of the square vs rectangular look. Where I'm going with this is that I was talking to a friend at work who had not seen the change to to Yosemite so I pulled up Apples website to show her and I was talking about the Finder icon and when I pulled up the Yosemite page on Apple I noticed the icon in their images is different then what is in the first beta. I hope they change it too this one! What does everyone else think?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 10.24.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 10.24.25 PM.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,955
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 10.24.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 10.24.18 PM.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,513

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I like the one on Apple.com better, but I think the one in the developer preview is probably what will be final.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
Funny thing is that the one on the website is a rectangle as opposed to the DP which uses a square. I think for some reason the rectangle is more pleasing to the eye. I always equated it with the ratio of the display. Either way we'll get used to it, but it would be nice if they used the one on their website.

VacantPsalm

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
I agree, it's nasty looking. Yet again, I've never been too big on the current finder icon either, I just got used to this one over time.

It being a square I think I can get used to, but I'm hoping Dark Mode will dim the colors of all these icons. Cuz really, they said they're adding Dark Mode for devs who want to focus. How the heck is leaving that rainbow in the dock reducing distractions? Those are way more of an eye draw than white backgrounds.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I agree, it's nasty looking. Yet again, I've never been too big on the current finder icon either, I just got used to this one over time.

It being a square I think I can get used to, but I'm hoping Dark Mode will dim the colors of all these icons. Cuz really, they said they're adding Dark Mode for devs who want to focus. How the heck is leaving that rainbow in the dock reducing distractions? Those are way more of an eye draw than white backgrounds.

I can take the Finder icon either way but I think it looks more inline with the new Dock scheme. You can always hide the Dock when using Dark mode.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I'm used to the new one, and I think it fits in better with all the other new icons. It's likely going to be the final version. The one on Apple.com must be an earlier version, as it's just the old one in a different color.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not liking the Finder Icon, something about it is just rubbing me the wrong way.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I think the one in the WWDC intro video (the one in the DP) is probably the final one.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
I think the one in the WWDC intro video (the one in the DP) is probably the final one.

Agreed. Considering that the finder icon in Mavericks was rectangular, it makes very little sense to make it square and then revert back to rectangular again. They probably at first made it flat, then changed the proportions and made some additional corrections.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Definitely am HOPING against hope for the website version to be the final one. The DP version is just weird looking and not pleasing to the eye.

Based on the number of complaints here, I wouldn't be surprised if people over at the developer forums are complaining, too. It doesn't seem like anyone likes the icon, so there should be a good chance of Apple changing the icon to the one on the website. Feedback, feedback!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I changed the [IMHO ugly] icon in "Finder" and "Dock". I keep custom icons for the sidebars in Finder and core app's as well as system app's, even changed the generic icon folder (that Miami Vice blue was killing my eyes).

As iOS 7 development progressed, I'm hopeful Apple will make GUI adjustments. It's petty but I really like the 3D dock, the new one takes be back to 10.4 and I didn't like it then. Additionally, the Finder and Safari toolbars are too light in contrast and text, just as iOS 7 had been.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I actually love the current finder icon, I hope it doesn't change.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
they will be changing the icon. they are not done with the complete UI changes yet. iTunes icon is still not red and some other apps look incomplete; game center for an example. wait for DP2 for some of these changes or later DP builds.

Last edited:

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
The build Apple had onstage was newest, so this build is not the final icons, notice iTunes was missing, and that finder icon is more current onstage. This current build is old.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
I like it, It looks a lot happier!

But I made a bigger version if you want.

1st one is original DP1,

2nd one is my custom stretched version

3rd one is from Apples website.

4th one is from Mavericks

Attachments

• finder original.png
    finder original.png
    545.3 KB · Views: 1,351
  • finder.png
    finder.png
    791.7 KB · Views: 260
  • Apple website.png
    Apple website.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 636
  • Mavericks.png
    Mavericks.png
    1 MB · Views: 611
Last edited:

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
Nobody but Apple knows that. The WWDC build was newer, so the Apple site is probably out of date.

They haven't.

the website would not be out of date they posted what the final design should be like when OS X Yosemite is released this fall. the WWDC build is newer and the version they gave to developers is older and does not include the final design.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I doubt any of what we're seeing is final.

In fact, I'm starting to really look forward to (read: hope for) some major tweaks to the design as it progresses through the betas.

I'm a big fan of iOS 7, but Yosemite, on a 21.5" 1080p display, is rough on the eyes.

Fonts are thin and in many cases jagged (has to be a bug). There is a severe lack of contrast on the new icons that sit in the dock. I see lots of BLUR everywhere, and no I'm not referring to the opacity in use on menus.

All things that need to be addressed, and likely will be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.