Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vitamanic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
For some reason, whenever an application closes, Finder will magically steal focus from whatever application should have it instead.

For example... Say I have Safari open, then open Settings and close it, Finder will bring all of its windows to the foreground on top of Safari for no apparent reason. This has made work infuriating.

If I "relaunch" Finder through the force quit menu, the problem goes away for some time but will always return. It doesn't happen in safe mode and it literally just became an issue today. No OS updates, no new apps, changes, nothing. I've also tried trashing the Finder plist file, no dice.

I'm attaching a video to demonstrate the issue.

Any ideas? I would be eternally grateful for not having spend the time to wipe my OS!

vitamanic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
a reboot doesn't fix it?

try setting up a test admin account, see if it happens there as well..

Just tried your suggestion. Interestingly, a fresh admin account doesn't exhibit the problem. 🤔

It does persist through a reboot or shutdown. I also just went and disabled every startup/log in item and it still happens.

So... considering that the secondary account behaves normally, I would assume there's a macOS setting file somewhere in my user's home folder causing this, right? But then I wonder why safe mode also behaves correctly, or does safe mode ignore some user settings?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
finder preferences perhaps? am not sure (so hopefully someone else will chime in). or you could always call apple.... anyway def something in your account. good luck with it! 👍

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
But then I wonder why safe mode also behaves correctly, or does safe mode ignore some user settings?
Its more that safe mode doesn't load extras like application and system extensions. So maybe it is a Finder extension you have installed.

vitamanic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
finder preferences perhaps? am not sure (so hopefully someone else will chime in). or you could always call apple.... anyway def something in your account. good luck with it! 👍
I ended up calling for AppleCare support and they pretty much immediately just told me to format, lol.

Its more that safe mode doesn't load extras like application and system extensions. So maybe it is a Finder extension you have installed.

I took a look and the only extension is Creative Cloud for their online storage. Disabling the extension doesn’t seem to fix it. :(

OliverJAsh

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
I have exactly the same problem. Did you manage to find a solution?

Restarting Finder fixes the problem, but the issue persists on reboot, even after removing all login items. The issue does not occur in safe mode.

I am using macOS Sonoma.

Last edited:

OliverJAsh

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
I've just wiped my system and reinstalled macOS. After installing a handful of basic apps like Chrome and Slack, the issue is happening again. 😒

Tuan2002

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2024
I have exactly the same problem. Did you manage to find a solution?

Restarting Finder fixes the problem, but the issue persists on reboot, even after removing all login items. The issue does not occur in safe mode.

I am using macOS Sonoma.
I have exactly the same problem. Did you find a solution?
I am using macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.