Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
I've been using Macs for almost 30 years. And over the years, I've learned if I don't need to update to the latest OS, I don't. Enough times that it caused more problems than solved. So I updated my Mac Pro Quad Core (Mac5,1) from Yosemite to El Capitan back in February. Only because after updating my iPhone 11 to the latest OS at the time, iTunes would no longer recognize it (another beef I have with Apple). So I downloaded the latest version of iTunes. But like clockwork, it wouldn't run on Yosemite. Hence having to update to El Capitan. And can I say, El Capitan is complete crap. I've had more issues with it in the past few months, than any other Mac OS in the years I've used them. Combined.

One of the issues I experience periodically, is the Finder relaunching itself. Eg. I'd be browsing online, then suddenly all my desktop icons disappear. Then after a few seconds, they would all start coming back. As if I relaunched the Finder. But it did it on it's own. So my question is, does anyone know why it would do this? Is this something I need to be concerned about. It's done this a handful times since February.

Some may say to update to latest or a newer OS. But my system is older. And in my experience, newer OS, will only impede it's performance. My Mac Pro was running perfectly fine under Yosemite. But like with many Apple products since Cook took over, it's just doesn't work like it used (Remember the old slogan, "It Just Works"? It certainly was true back in the day, not so much now). And like with El Capitan, I'm very wary that if I update, it will again cause more problems than I already have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.