Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
I am using Catalina in my 2015 MacBook Air, and I have an iPhone 8. Understand there might be some connectivity through Finder. In Finder Preferences there is a button for selecting "CDs, DVDs, and iOS Devices"; this button is checked. However, no "CDs, DVDs, and iOS Devices" option appears under Sidebar Locations. Is this correctable? What benefit is there with this option?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I am using Catalina in my 2015 MacBook Air, and I have an iPhone 8. Understand there might be some connectivity through Finder. In Finder Preferences there is a button for selecting "CDs, DVDs, and iOS Devices"; this button is checked. However, no "CDs, DVDs, and iOS Devices" option appears under Sidebar Locations. Is this correctable? What benefit is there with this option?
Those devices would need to be connected to your MBA to see them in the side bar.

Reactions: jparker402

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
Hmm. Since the MacBook and iPhone are synched, thought they were connected. By going to bluetooth on each of them, I see that they were not connected there. Have now connected them on bluetooth, but the iPhone still does not appear in Finder Locations. Or is that what you meant by "connected"?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

Plug your iPhone into a USB port on the computer and it should show up under Sidebar Locations. Select the iPhone from the Sidebar and then enable Show this iPhone when on WiFi. Now unplug the iPhone and you should see it show up wirelessly.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
Oh! As in connected by wire! Now I am beginning to see! I have never done that. What would connecting like that and having the iPhone come up on the Sidebar allow me to do that I can't do without it? And should I turn off the Bluetooth connection that I have now made?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Oh! As in connected by wire! Now I am beginning to see! I have never done that. What would connecting like that and having the iPhone come up on the Sidebar allow me to do that I can't do without it? And should I turn off the Bluetooth connection that I have now made?

The iPhone connects over USB or WiFi, you don't need Bluetooth turned on for that. Since iTunes went away in Catalina, finder now handles the access to the iDevices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.