Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Has anyone else noticed the "desktop" sidebar favourite keeps reappearing even if hidden? I'll uncheck the box but it keeps popping up in the sidebar after a few hours. Not sure if this is a known bug or not?

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
I have the opposite problem. My Desktop keeps removing itself. I'm guessing this is similar to other issues like every restart, my sound is muted and my Logitech Mouse does not remember any of it's custom settings. All real pains to reset each time.

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Has anyone else noticed the "desktop" sidebar favourite keeps reappearing even if hidden? I'll uncheck the box but it keeps popping up in the sidebar after a few hours. Not sure if this is a known bug or not?
This is because you enabled icloud drive desktop and document folder syncs on system preferences and trigged the bug.

if you really dont want to see desktop icon on your sidebar, turnoff the function under icloud panel. or wait for apple to fix it (if they care).

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Hah, I thought it was just me! But yes, I've had this occurring on several machines the last couple of weeks. Interesting thing is that they run a mix of 10.11 and 10.12.

I haven't noticed it prior to a few weeks ago, and thought I had just forgotten to remove it, but was wondering why I would have forgotten it on more than one machine (Command-D is faster when the desktop is needed). But since I am apparently not the only one, it can only be a bug.

John25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Has anyone found a fix for this yet? The "desktop" label in the sidebar of Finder keeps re-appearing no matter how many times it is "removed" from the sidebar.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Try navigating to ~/Library/Preferences and deleting com.apple.sidebarlists.plist then alt + rightclick on Finder's Dock icon and select Relaunch from the menu that appears. Then hide Desktop again and see if it reappears.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
Has anyone found a fix for this? I thought this would be gone when i got a new Mac with Mojave but it's actually worse. I uncheck 'Desktop' in Finder Prefs but It's back seconds later. Really annoying :mad:

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
I still have this problem on Monterey. It drives me CRAZY. I have desktop already listed under the 'icloud' section but it randomly keeps showing up in the favorites area even though I don't want it to,

adruiza

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
After years of struggling with this issue (the Desktop item kept reappearing in Favorites in Finder whenever I entered About this Mac > Storage), I found a way to fix this. It may not be suitable for regular users, as it involves using the command line and external utilities.

1. Install a sidebar editor called mysides using Homebrew (brew install mysides).
  2. Run "mysides list" in Terminal and check it shows an entry called "Desktop".
  3. Run "mysides remove Desktop" in Terminal.
  4. Check that the Desktop entry has disappear from Finder's sidebar and that "mysides list" also doesn't list it.
  5. In my case, open "About this Mac > Storage" (which triggered Desktop appearing again in Finder's sidebar) and verify that Desktop doesn't appear again.
I rebooted a few times after running this steps just to check if the fix was persistent across reboots. It's been a few hours since then and Desktop still hasn't appeared, so it seems this was the fix we all needed.

I believe Finder has some bug when deleting the Desktop entry. Maybe it doesn't delete the entry because it was never supposed to be there (as it should only appear under iCloud Drive if this Desktop & Documents is synced through iCloud). With mysides, the entry seems to be removed correctly.

Hope this helps!

exgphe

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2022
After years of struggling with this issue (the Desktop item kept reappearing in Favorites in Finder whenever I entered About this Mac > Storage), I found a way to fix this. It may not be suitable for regular users, as it involves using the command line and external utilities.

1. Install a sidebar editor called mysides using Homebrew (brew install mysides).
  2. Run "mysides list" in Terminal and check it shows an entry called "Desktop".
  3. Run "mysides remove Desktop" in Terminal.
  4. Check that the Desktop entry has disappear from Finder's sidebar and that "mysides list" also doesn't list it.
  5. In my case, open "About this Mac > Storage" (which triggered Desktop appearing again in Finder's sidebar) and verify that Desktop doesn't appear again.
I rebooted a few times after running this steps just to check if the fix was persistent across reboots. It's been a few hours since then and Desktop still hasn't appeared, so it seems this was the fix we all needed.

I believe Finder has some bug when deleting the Desktop entry. Maybe it doesn't delete the entry because it was never supposed to be there (as it should only appear under iCloud Drive if this Desktop & Documents is synced through iCloud). With mysides, the entry seems to be removed correctly.

Hope this helps!
OMG it perfectly solved the issue! Thank you so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.