Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
On my account upgraded from Catalina most of the drives on the sidebar show up as generic document icons. They all have custom icons on the desktop, but that was never an issue before. Another account on the same system does not show the issue. Catalina had had the issue, but it went away after the latest update.

I copied the home folder looking normal from the Catalina drive and used it, but it also came up with generic icons.

I have checked and repaired Home folder permissions and ownership and deleted all caches, containers, and preferences I could find. No change. I also reinstalled with the 11.0.1 final version. My stop is too complex to make it worthwhile to completely redo home.

Not a big deal, but does anybody have any other ideas?

clingfreeze

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
I have the same issue. I did not find a fix yet. Let's hope that the next update fixes this.

meltinsands

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2020
Here! Having the same issue, but only for the desktop icon. All other icons in the sidebar could be fixed with CMD+X.

lfom

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021
Check if you have some Finder Extension enabled, this fixed the generic folder icon for disks in the sidebar:

DC41

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2021
Wasn't sure if proper netiquette calls for extending this thread or starting a new one... decided to resurrect the old one.

In my case I just want to change one icon in my Finder's sidebar. My NAS shows with the generic document icon. Just a small thing, but it's like a sliver under my fingernail. Just about any other of the apple icons would be preferable... desktop, laptop, hard drive, or connected server, etc.

I've searched and most answers deal with app specific folders or changing to a custom folder. I just want to change to another apple generic one. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

tigersoul

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
Same issue here on Ventura and a Synology NAS. It's a tiny cosmetic glitch but I still hate it.

DC41

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2021
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.