Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I had this problem back in Lion days periodically but was surprised to see it again today after having upgraded to Mountain Lion when it came out.

I have about six volumes that are mounted at boot time with a script. They always mount up fine and they are not ejected (running df in the console as well as drilling into the 'shared' section of the finder both show they are mounted and available).

Today, mysteriously the icons in the sidebar for these shares have all vanished. I went into sidebar Finder preferences and confirmed that 'external discs' for the sidebar is checked. Interestingly if I go into the Finder general preferences and choose to display "connected servers" all of the volumes pop like magic onto the desktop.

Is there something flaky with the Finder in Mountain Lion (and maybe in Lion also) or is there some value somewhere that has gotten corrupted that could be causing this to periodically happen?

I'm sure a reboot would cure it, but if possible I'd like to get it fixed up for good.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
OK, I give up. Hopefully apple will fix it at some point because it's really annoying. I actually trashed the plist for both the Finder and the sidebar and it still is not working.

eisbaer

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
Same problem here

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Networkshare don't survive a reboot even if I put them in the Startup Objects in my User Preferences.

Additionally I have the problem that a local Drive which I dragged once in the sidebar, shows up each time after a reboot, even after I removed it from the sidebar manually.

Did you find more information about it?

Frank

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Networkshare don't survive a reboot even if I put them in the Startup Objects in my User Preferences.

Additionally I have the problem that a local Drive which I dragged once in the sidebar, shows up each time after a reboot, even after I removed it from the sidebar manually.

Did you find more information about it?

Frank

No solution yet. If the first ML update does not clear it then I will probably pursue it further with Apple support.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
My Airport Extreme-connected drive and another NAS disappeared from the sidebar today :) Haven't rebooted yet, but I just did cmd+k in Finder, connected and pulled the drives themselves to the sidebar.

It's a temporary solution for me, maybe it works even after reboot for you guys?

eisbaer

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
Nope - doesnt work. If you reboot they are gone. even if you put them in user auto start .

dpidan

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
Same issue here.

Once in a while the network drives appear in the favorites, but sometimes after reboot they disappear (though still connected).

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I thought that perhaps this was fixed in 10.8.1 as I had not noticed it happen for a while, but after updating to 10.8.2 the problem is back. Very annoyed with Apple right now.

great2b1

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
same here

Same here, I have noticed some will stick and one can't be added at all.

I can access it on side bar from shared>connected servers > volume

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I can access by going to my "mac" in the sidebar and then all of the mounted volumes show up.

Really annoying we are on .2 of this release and still don't have this working.

I am tempted to open up a ticket with Apple about it but it would be better if someone with Applecare did that.

aknjneer

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
How to put network share in finder sidebar on Lion

Have the network shared folder showing in Finder.
In the Finder's preferences go to the Sidebar section.
Uncheck the "Connected Servers" checkbox.
Close preferences.
In Finder drag the network share to the "Devices" area of the sidebar and it should stay there.

The "Connected Servers" in the General area of Finders preferences is for the Desktop as you found out. For some reason it shows the actual share(as it should). The "Connected Servers" in the Sidebar section only shows the machine's name or ip address instead of the share.

Anyway that's what worked for me on a couple of machines so I hope it's helpful.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Close preferences.
In Finder drag the network share to the "Devices" area of the sidebar and it should stay there.

The "Connected Servers" in the General area of Finders preferences is for the Desktop as you found out. For some reason it shows the actual share(as it should). The "Connected Servers" in the Sidebar section only shows the machine's name or ip address instead of the share.

Anyway that's what worked for me on a couple of machines so I hope it's helpful.

Unfortunately that does not work for me. Even if I have connected servers unchecked, if I try to drag one of the mapped drives to the devices are of the sidebar from where I have it in the finder (it shows up under the section in the finder for my mac which shows all of the drives on the mac) it simply "springs back" and won't stay in the sidebar.

So, no dice here with that fix.

leed76

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Sorry ...

Hate to open up an old thread. But I'm still experiencing it with 10.8.2. Are there any settings I'm missing to get it to take? :confused:

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Nope, still broken.

I do observe that if I manually eject the shares after they are mounted, and then run my mounting script again, that they will show up in the Finder sidebar.

It seems to me that it's some kind of a timing problem where, when the shares are mounted at login, everything isn't set up right initially for them to show up where they ought to show up.

Rather disappointing that after all of this time Apple hasn't fixed it.

pilgrimer

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
Finder Sidebar is loosing my networked shares

This is a very serious bug. If one has Macs in an enterprise, with multiple /home folders on a server in either afp or smb shares, it is quite handy to have a sidebar link to your /home/user rather then the IP of the share containing potentially thousands of /home folders. a link in Favorites was possible under 10.6, flaky under 10.7, and impossible under 10.8
I have used a dodge of a symlink to a shared folder on the Finder desktop for years. Click the link and the share magically appears in Sidebar favorites; in 10.6 and has not worked AT ALL since. Others have placed the share link on the Dock and other such dodges. Come ON Apple you are better then this; upgrade does not mean ""it just breaks"

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Well, all I can say is that the more people who complain about this to Apple the more likely it will be fixed.

pilgrimer

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
I totally agree Jim but this was a problem going back to Lion. Apple seems so wrapped up in iDevice love that there are few techs left working on Macs. Sort of like the days when the Apple II division was supporting the company but all the devel work was on the Mac side. Months and months of no help on this....

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Yeah I had to get a second level technician even to talk to me about SMB shares and then was told that apple doesn't officially support SMB. Their tech support has become pretty worthless unless you are a celebrity like John Mayer. Then they fall all over themselves to fix your stuff.

valkuba

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
Navigate mouse to the Finder sidebar "SHARED". Don't click, just navigate.
The word "Show" appears right of SHARED. Click on it.
You will see your network computers etc.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Navigate mouse to the Finder sidebar "SHARED". Don't click, just navigate.
The word "Show" appears right of SHARED. Click on it.
You will see your network computers etc.

I really hope you're kidding. Clicking "hide" vs "show" has nothing to do with this problem.

macman34

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
Same **** here. They are inexcusable with their software development for os x. I used to try to convince the it dept to switch over to os x for years, now I am dissuading anyone moving to os x in a corporate environment. How can they say they don't officially support smb with a straight face? I guess people who said rip os x with the lions weren't too far off from the truth.

novesire

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
Close preferences.

Thank you, this worked for me as well:)

brianfrancisco

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
This is indeed quite frustrating. The only solution I've found is to disconnect and reconnect the wireless network connection on my shared Windows PC. I wonder if setting up static IP addresses would alleviate the problem.

I also had to setup a user password on my Windows PC. Otherwise, when I tried to mount the PC shared drive on my Mac, the pop-up menu box just shook and prompted for the password again.

joshfree

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
I opened Finder preferences, went to the Sidebar tab, unchecked all Devices and Shared items and closed the dialogue box.

Then I force-quit the Finder. When it relaunched, my Device list was back with just my Mac visible.

Went back into the Sidebar tab and re-checked all my Devices. As I checked them (turning them on), they reappeared in the Sidebar.

All is well, at least so far. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.