Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicolaselhani

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
I have a bunch of Smart Folders in my Finder that gather files with specific Tags.

For example:

Favorites (Smart Folder) - Files (Tagged with "Favorites")
Red (Smart Folder) - Files (Tagged with "Red")

Smart Folders are not real folders as they are query files such as Favorites.SavedSearch

I am trying to sync the Smart Folders and their respective contents to a service like Google Drive.

I cannot point Google Drive to the Smart Folder as it's seen as a file (e.g. Favorites.SavedSearch).

Does anyone have a solution or workaround even using a third-party app?

Thanks a lot.

Nick

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I am trying to sync the Smart Folders and their respective contents to a service like Google Drive.
Just to clarify "Smart Folders and their respective contents". Do you mean
1) Sync all your Smart Folders (aka Saved Searches), so that the corresponding searches are available on another Mac, or
2) Sync each Smart Folder and the files found by the search, so that the files are available elsewhere from Google Drive.

The first is easy if you have a synchronisation app to hand. I used Chronsync to create a scheduled sync task which synchronised ~/Library/Saved Searches to a Dropbox folder. Chronosync has some smarts regarding File Provider cloud products like Dropbox.

Or even easier, just keep your Saved Searches in Dropbox, Google Drive or whatever.

The second is more tricky. Might be job for a shell scripting wizard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.