Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

William8606

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2015
I just added time machine to one of my external hard drives. Not sure if this is a factor.

When I create a new folder or delete a file on this hard drive, I get a message "Finder wants to make changes" and must enter my password.

The other hard drive works fine. How to fix please.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
This would be a permissions issue. Open "Get Info" or press Command-I on the drive, then change so you have read/write access under "Sharing and Permissions" (you might have to unlock and type in your password to do this). Also make sure you click on the settings menu and select "Apply to enclosed items" to make sure all files and folders get the change.

Reactions: EDF

William8606

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2015
That worked! Thanks. Somehow my username was deleted from the list for that hard drive so I added per your directions.

brningwyre

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2017
This would be a permissions issue. Open "Get Info" or press Command-I on the drive, then change so you have read/write access under "Sharing and Permissions" (you might have to unlock and type in your password to do this). Also make sure you click on the settings menu and select "Apply to enclosed items" to make sure all files and folders get the change.[/
This would be a permissions issue. Open "Get Info" or press Command-I on the drive, then change so you have read/write access under "Sharing and Permissions" (you might have to unlock and type in your password to do this). Also make sure you click on the settings menu and select "Apply to enclosed items" to make sure all files and folders get the change.

Thanks loads, Red. I almost had this figured out, only to be foiled by the Little Black Gear in the lower left corner of every Get Info box.

brningwyre

EDF

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
Thanks, it worked for me as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.