Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aidan2310

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2017
Hi guys,

Whenever I have to shutdown my macbook pro (OSX 10.11.6) I have to go to force quit > relaunch finder otherwise i'm left with just my dock and background and it will stay in that state (i've left it for 15 minutes and still nothing). Whenever it is frozen in that state, if I go to force quit the only app open is Finder. Has anyone else occurred this? I've tried deleting the .com.apple.finder.plist file but it still happens.

Thanks in advance.

aidan2310

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2017
Reinstall the operating system while backed up of course.

Cheers man. Just a quick couple of questions. I'm thinking of updating to OSX Seirra anyway, will that do the same job or will it simply take the problem with it? Secondly, with the back-up, does it just back up files? Will I have to re-install the apps manually? If so, there's no point in me backing up because all my files (samples libraries and logic pro folders) are already all on a external HDD.

Winterfibre

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2016
It will do the same job. You can backup your files either way, thats throught time machine or just copy and paste to a seperate hard drive, usb drive.
Sierra is great by the way.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Something to try:

When it's time to shut down, first do this:
Choose "Log Out" from the Apple menu instead of "Shut Down".

Are you able to get to the "log in" screen by doing so?
If yes, then choose "Shut Down" at the bottom of the screen.

Does this work, by any chance?

aidan2310

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2017
Cheers for replying guys, I upgrade to Sierra and it works well so far, fingers crossed it continues!

Fishrrman, nah same thing happened when I tried doing that. It would occasionally let me go to the log-in screen but it was very infrequent.

Thanks again for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.