Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I lost my keys about 3 weeks or so ago and kinda gave up on finding them...I had one last idea on how to find them but I don't think it is possible. The keyfob is the type where my car will only start if the keyfob is within a couple of feet of my car (I assume it is NFC). My theory is that the keyfob should give off some sort of wireless signal that, theoretically, could be picked up by something that would recognize that signal. How to do that I do not know and it probably won't work anyways, but if anyone has any ideas I am willing to try it.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ideally, what I would like to see, is what Apple purportedly might have plans in the future, and where your phone is the key fob itself. Meaning, once it’s successfully paired to your phone, it basically eliminates misplacing it compared to how often keys/fobs are lost at a higher rate, plus your phone can still offer all the core functionality in terms of remote start/climate control settings/vehicle health diagnostics, ect. It’s essentially an All-in-one Device.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Don't think I have ever lost my keys yet. I'd still carry a key if my iPhone was an option for the car. Because being out with a lost/broken/stolen/dead battery and no way to get home sounds grim.

Reactions: compwiz1202

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I lost my keys about 3 weeks or so ago and kinda gave up on finding them...I had one last idea on how to find them but I don't think it is possible. The keyfob is the type where my car will only start if the keyfob is within a couple of feet of my car (I assume it is NFC). My theory is that the keyfob should give off some sort of wireless signal that, theoretically, could be picked up by something that would recognize that signal. How to do that I do not know and it probably won't work anyways, but if anyone has any ideas I am willing to try it.

Passive fobs, where you don't have to press a button, are send/receive devices, so I guess if you could source something that picks up the right frequency (I want to say they operate ~433Mhz), and you were very close to it, you might be able to rig something up. This is definitely where something like a Tile, or the TBA Apple Tile-like product will be super handy.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Passive fobs, where you don't have to press a button, are send/receive devices, so I guess if you could source something that picks up the right frequency (I want to say they operate ~433Mhz), and you were very close to it, you might be able to rig something up. This is definitely where something like a Tile, or the TBA Apple Tile-like product will be super handy.

What do you think I could get to try to rig something up to try to detect that frequency? I don't really know much about that kind of stuff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.