Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
First let me point out that I travel a lot and change time zones, countries regularly.

Ever since I had the iPhone3 has the search for a network been dismally slow. Actually catastrophically slow.

So one day I read into how the network search worked and discovered that Apple had gone over its head to try to be absurdly intelligent.

Seems the iOS looks in the history database, GPS location, then Wifi, then ... maybe ... does a simple network search. All this in the logic to get you back onto the same network you had last time you were somewhere.

Point is, I often travel by plane to locations never visited before. So the intellectual network search is plain slow. So slow that I am often outside the airport before I can make a call. That very call I must do quickly to contact whoever is picking me up.

And for the record; looking for GPS in an airport terminal is pointless, don't see the pertinence of wifi if there is no free hotspot, etc.

I truly believe whoever set up the network search algorithm for iOS never travelled internationally.

For the record, now when I travel to strange locations I have my old nokia where I place the SIM for a 15 sec network find.

Love technology, but it has to be user-friendly and user-useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.