Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMKassirMD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
For the most part, the applications I use are 64-bit, with one exception. I've been using an application called "Synchronize! Pro X" for the past 20 years, but its's 32-bit and the developer told me he doesn't plan to update it to 64-bit. He wrote, "With Apple making it a lot of work to rewrite Synchronize! Pro X, I've decided to take the opportunity to retire instead."

I rely on the application everyday to synchronize 2 folders. It copies files both ways and gives me a useful preview list of files it plans to copy with colorful arrows indicating the direction of the copy. It also allows me to manually change the direction of a copied file on a per file basis in the preview.

Are there any other apps out there that have similar features?

Thanks.

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
pdate it to 64-bit. He wrote, "With Apple making it a lot of work to rewrite Synchronize! Pro X, I've decided to take the opportunity to retire instead."

I rely on the application everyday to synchronize 2 folders. It copies files both ways and gives me a useful preview list of files it plans to copy with colorful arrows indicating the direction of the copy. It also allows me to manually change the direction of a copied file on a per file basis in the preview.

GoodSync works well, and I think it will do everything you require.

AMKassirMD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Thank you both for your invaluable replies! I checked out GoodSync and ChronoSync, and found GoodSync's "preview" (analyze) results to be easier to use than ChronoSync, so I'll be buying GoodSync! I'm pleased to find a suitable replacement.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Even though GoodSync's analyze results are easier to use, further review suggests that ChronoSync is more well regarded than GoodSync, so now I'm not as sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: macintoshmac

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
On a similar note: does anyone have a recommendation to replace Burn? I loved being to directly copy one CD to another by having two external CD drives hooked up set once.

EDIT: never mind, I’m a dummy - there is a 64bit version!

AMKassirMD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
GoodSync works well, and I think it will do everything you require.
Have you used and been pleased with GoodSync? I've been doing more reading online and it appears, in general, ChronoSync is used by more users and is consistently rated well, while GoodSync is more hit-and-miss with the reviews. I definitely like GoodSync's analyze window better--it's far easier to see which files are going to be synced--but ChronoSync is faster. Another nice thing is that ChronoSync is optimized for APFS-formatted volumes (while GoodSync is not, according to their GoodSync support).

pollycat

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2004
Another vote here for Chronosync.
Been using it a long time to sync media with my networked drive.
Works flawlessly for me and regularly updated.

steviemerk

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2023
I went to school at Dark Horse Institute for audio engineering in Nashville. Where Taylor Swift did her first album and Faith Hill has her own room (its essentially a mansion!) They taught us a lot, and one thing was FILE SYNC. Particularly, they used Syncronize! PlusX and so, being the good engineer I became, it was an ESSENTIAL tool for me. I actually talked with the developer about 6 months ago, and told him about how his program, at least in 2012, was THE program that was used to sync actual song folders of recordings that would go on to win grammys that he would then hear on the radio and never know he had a part of. Super interesting, he didn't know that the school used it and they taught the students to use it. There was a glimmer of hope he might retrieve my license and maybe make a 64 bit version for about 3 seconds, I could hear it in his pause! But I felt to push it and ask him for a license (which is why I was messaging him, I hadn't even crossed the 32 64 bit bridge yet, like I said a few years without syncing, because I COULDN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE DAMN PROGRAM.

WOw what a chunk of useless info to add for someone who came here for what I came here for

I am here to find an alternative I haven't used one period for a few years, guess I will try Chronosync!

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
For the most part, the applications I use are 64-bit, with one exception. I've been using an application called "Synchronize! Pro X" for the past 20 years, but its's 32-bit and the developer told me he doesn't plan to update it to 64-bit. He wrote, "With Apple making it a lot of work to rewrite Synchronize! Pro X, I've decided to take the opportunity to retire instead."

Thanks.
You could reenable 32bit support in Catalina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.