Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Recently I often notice that when I have my Mac sitting idle and I'm not actively using it, after a while the current foreground application (e.g. Safari) loses focus and the beachball starts spinning. I need to click into Safari's window or use cmd+< to switch back to it. The menu bar is still Safari's. So I assume that there's an application without UI getting the focus.
Is there a way to constantly display the name of the application that's currently in the foreground, so that I notice when it changes?

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Hm, I‘ll have to look into that. Obviously, I don’t know when the problem is going to occur, so I‘d probably have to make the script sleep for half an hour or so or get it to loop. No idea how hard that would be in AppleScript, but I‘ll check it out.
Thank you!

Edit:The script works, but it doesn't seem to catch the relevant process. It reports the app that has apparently been sent to the background.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.