Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkwolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
I am trying to make more room on my mac's hard drive by moving my photos to an external hard drive. I need to be able to transfer a copy of the photos I want to move to the external hard drive and then make sure that all extra copies (previews, thumbnails, and masters) are erased from my mac.

I am using OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 and Photos Version 1.0.1 (215.65.0)

The problem is that I don't know how to find all copies of the photos in Finder.

Thank you!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You just needs to move the Photos library file to the external drive. Everything is inside that file (package).

Code:
~/Pictures

Triple click the line above to select it, then right click, then in the Services menu select reveal in Finder. In that folder you should see Photos library. Just drag and drop that to the external drive.

Reactions: Meister

inkwolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
You just needs to move the Photos library file to the external drive. Everything is inside that file (package).

Code:
~/Pictures

Triple click the line above to select it, then right click, then in the Services menu select reveal in Finder. In that folder you should see Photos library. Just drag and drop that to the external drive.

What would I do if I didn't want to move the entire photos library, only a portion of the pictures?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What would I do if I didn't want to move the entire photos library, only a portion of the pictures?
Then you need to open Photos and export the photos you want to separate, then import them back into another Photos library2 for example. Then you can delete them from library one. Whatever you do, not mess about inside the Photos library in Finder. That file/library is meant to be managed by the Photos app. If you much about in there manually, you can break the whole library.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21363

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.