Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

statik13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
What thoughts do people have out there for dream adventure destinations?

My self-imposed travel rules are the destination must be outside of North America, and preferably a country that forces me to be outside of my comfort zone. After all, you need to push your limits while you are young enough to do so.

Right now I'm looking at exploring more of Asia, Central America and South America. I've explored a lot of North America, Europe and Africa, but barely touched anywhere else in the world.

Anyone with amazing adventure stories or recommendations they want to share?

Reactions: Gutwrench

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

My self-imposed travel rules are the destination must be outside of North America, and preferably a country that forces me to be outside of my comfort zone. After all, you need to push your limits while you are young enough to do so.

Right now I'm looking at exploring more of Asia, Central America and South America. I've explored a lot of North America, Europe and Africa, but barely touched anywhere else in the world.

Define what you mean by a "dream adventure destination"? What have you in mind when you write the word "adventure"?

statik13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Define what you mean by a "dream adventure destination"? What have you in mind when you write the word "adventure"?

Good question. I'm not sure I know myself, which is why the thread. I want to hear the adventures other people here have had.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Good question. I'm not sure I know myself, which is why the thread. I want to hear the adventures other people here have had.

Well, what I meant was do you want adventure in the form of physical activity, or the frisson of danger? Is this "adventure" as a hobby, a thrill, or as a possible professional activity?

Are you addicted to excitement, adrenalin, or danger, or just wish to experience new sensations and travel to fresh vistas and places in order to see and wonder over something new?

In your previous travels, what did you like, thrill to, dislike? What would you like to replicate?

I get the desire to remove yourself from a comfort zone and challenge yourself, but, even there, there are degrees of discomfort and challenge.

Reactions: mobilehaathi

statik13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Well, what I meant was do you want adventure in the form of physical activity, or the frisson of danger? Is this "adventure" as a hobby, a thrill, or as a possible professional activity?

Are you addicted to excitement, adrenalin, or danger, or just wish to experience new sensations and travel to fresh vistas and places in order to see and wonder over something new?

In your previous travels, what did you like, thrill to, dislike? What would you like to replicate?

I get the desire to remove yourself from a comfort zone and challenge yourself, but, even there, there are degrees of discomfort and challenge.

My comfort zone is pretty broad.

About the only thing I'd say "no" to is mountain climbing. Climbed Kilimanjaro a few years back and got pretty serious altitude sickness that took me over a year to fully recover from. Not into danger or adrenaline junkie, but safaris, skydiving, bungee jumping, snorkelling, sand boarding, skiing, motorcycling camping under the stars and white water rafting are all on the "would do again" list.

Mostly, as you surmised, new sensations, fresh vistas, new food, new cultures, new experiences and not being tied to a group tour meets my adventure travel plans these days. Perhaps that isn't adventure travel?

Why? What were you thinking from your adventures?

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America

Do you have a budget? If you're looking for a great adventure go diving in Southeast Asia.

Reactions: SoggyCheese

AutisticGuy

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2018
My comfort zone is pretty broad.

About the only thing I'd say "no" to is mountain climbing. Climbed Kilimanjaro a few years back and got pretty serious altitude sickness that took me over a year to fully recover from. Not into danger or adrenaline junkie, but safaris, skydiving, bungee jumping, snorkelling, sand boarding, skiing, motorcycling camping under the stars and white water rafting are all on the "would do again" list.

Mostly, as you surmised, new sensations, fresh vistas, new food, new cultures, new experiences and not being tied to a group tour meets my adventure travel plans these days. Perhaps that isn't adventure travel?

Why? What were you thinking from your adventures?

Wow, I can see why you wouldn’t call yourself an adrenaline junky. The list of stuff you gave as examples are sooooo conservative! ;)

Reactions: statik13

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

I am so thirsty to be deposited on a quiet beach island to do no more than gaze out over the steady surf and listen to the breakers. I’d be content sitting for days under an umbrella surrounded by books and magazines; and crawling through the sand to tables of fresh cut fruit, meats & cheese, and sweet alcoholic beverages; and crawling back. I don’t want tours or any such nonesense. Just sun and birds recklessly circling overhead. Maybe I’ll bring Wilson. Ha ha.

I’ve narrowed it to Nusa Penida or Lombok.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I’m about to spend a month in Bali on a coworking retreat. I’ve never been to Asia at all— I’ve spent tons of time in North America and Europe, but no other continents. I know Bali gets tons of tourists, so it probably isn’t adventurous to you. But I’m super excited!

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I’m about to spend a month in Bali on a coworking retreat. I’ve never been to Asia at all— I’ve spent tons of time in North America and Europe, but no other continents. I know Bali gets tons of tourists, so it probably isn’t adventurous to you. But I’m super excited!

Any room in your carry on? You can even stuff me in the overhead.

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway

statik13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Do you have a budget? If you're looking for a great adventure go diving in Southeast Asia.

Want to keep it under $8000 or so for two people. My wife is afraid of water and more than a bit claustrophobic. Diving is something I want to do but I'll be doing that one on my own :(

That sounds amazing! Very adventurous.

Sounds like a trip to New Zealand would do you well.

Absolutely! Spent a month in Australia last year and have plans to go to New Zealand next year :) The paragliding and white water rafting are supposed to be the best.
[doublepost=1521425114][/doublepost]
Wow, I can see why you wouldn’t call yourself an adrenaline junky. The list of stuff you gave as examples are sooooo conservative! ;)

OK, maybe a bit of an adrenaline junkie. :oops::D

Reactions: SoggyCheese

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I’ve been dating a guy who lives in Malta for a bit over a year, and about a month or so ago we broke up, a few days before I was supposed to go see him. I was like, well, I could cry in my apartment, or I could figure out something else to do with this plane ticket. I couldn’t change it at all, so I added on a flight from Malta to Athens and spent close to three weeks driving around Greece by myself. :) I got back just under two weeks ago.

I took my trusty 8+ and got AMAZING pictures (people can’t believe they are from a phone) and photo blogged the trip. And I had my trusty 12.9 iPad, so I could teach online in the evenings. That was my Mac tie-in to my story. :)

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Well, I'd advocate for Japan or China. I lived in both and they are beautiful beyond imagining. The foods are great in each. Japan is especially nice once you get away from Tokyo and the megalopolises. Small town Japan is beautiful. China is an awesome place to get to, as well. Lots to see and do. Add in Hong Kong as a special feature and you just can't go wrong.

Egypt is a nice one, too, (for a military dictatorship).

AutisticGuy

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2018
I’ve been dating a guy who lives in Malta for a bit over a year, and about a month or so ago we broke up, a few days before I was supposed to go see him. I was like, well, I could cry in my apartment, or I could figure out something else to do with this plane ticket. I couldn’t change it at all, so I added on a flight from Malta to Athens and spent close to three weeks driving around Greece by myself. :) I got back just under two weeks ago.

I took my trusty 8+ and got AMAZING pictures (people can’t believe they are from a phone) and photo blogged the trip. And I had my trusty 12.9 iPad, so I could teach online in the evenings. That was my Mac tie-in to my story. :)

Wow, thank you so much for volunteering to share some of those pictures you took on your trip to Athens! Honestly, not many people would be so generous. :p

statik13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Well, I'd advocate for Japan or China. I lived in both and they are beautiful beyond imagining. The foods are great in each. Japan is especially nice once you get away from Tokyo and the megalopolises. Small town Japan is beautiful. China is an awesome place to get to, as well. Lots to see and do. Add in Hong Kong as a special feature and you just can't go wrong.

Egypt is a nice one, too, (for a military dictatorship).

Japan is definitely one of those places I could live in. It felt so comfortable. How was the transportation in China? Is it as easy to get around as it is in Japan?

It's been 10 years since I've been in Jordan & Egypt... Might be time to go back. I recall the food and antiquities being amazing.
[doublepost=1521475095][/doublepost]
In that case what about driving all around India for like a month?

Have you done that? It does sound like a very interesting trip.
[doublepost=1521475149][/doublepost]
Haha, OK. Hang on.
[doublepost=1521432381][/doublepost]OK, check out flyaway2010.wordpress.com.

Nice! Thank you for posting that. Cool pics

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Japan is definitely one of those places I could live in. It felt so comfortable. How was the transportation in China? Is it as easy to get around as it is in Japan?

It's been 10 years since I've been in Jordan & Egypt... Might be time to go back. I recall the food and antiquities being amazing.
[doublepost=1521475095][/doublepost]

Transportation in China has improved in leaps and bounds since my time there. The trains have improved for city to city travel and taxis are much better in the cities than they used to be. Buses are an OK way to go, if you read Chinese or know the route. You can also do the tour bus runs or rentals and that's a savings, too. Nice thing about doing it today is you don't need a ton of government approvals to go places and see things.

I loved Egypt! The foods and people were just so nice during my three years there. You can easily stick to the major cities and roam out to see the sights or just walk the country around the cities. The Red Sea is always a nice visit, too. Great if you like diving without restrictions (or knowledge).

statik13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008

That does look amazingly fun. Nice danger,death,kill warnings they have there. :eek:
[doublepost=1521555866][/doublepost]
Transportation in China has improved in leaps and bounds since my time there. The trains have improved for city to city travel and taxis are much better in the cities than they used to be. Buses are an OK way to go, if you read Chinese or know the route. You can also do the tour bus runs or rentals and that's a savings, too. Nice thing about doing it today is you don't need a ton of government approvals to go places and see things.

hmmm, ok, China is on the short list.

I loved Egypt! The foods and people were just so nice during my three years there. You can easily stick to the major cities and roam out to see the sights or just walk the country around the cities. The Red Sea is always a nice visit, too. Great if you like diving without restrictions (or knowledge).

Did snorkeling in Aswan which gave me just a small taste of what you can see. I need to really get my diving licence.

What surprised me the most about Egypt was how safe it was to get around.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If you have visited Africa, you have probably travelled to Kenya which has impressed me mightily.

However, in central Asia, I would recommend Kyrgyzstan - a relaxed central Asian country with stunning scenery, amazing mountains, and an impressive embryonic hospitality industry with an interest in eco-tourism.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161

His twitter feed crehage is really funny, and has been blocked by his Trumpness himself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.