Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Hi,

I am searching for a good working and available 2 TB SSD for the 6,1. The SSD must wir under Monterey (perhaps Ventura too) Sleep, warm boot and TRIM Must also work without problems.

Two guys in this forum tell me the Kingston FURY RENEGADE is a good option, but this SSD is a bit expensive in my country (160€)

Other SSDs like the Samsung 970 Evo Plus, WD Black and Blue, Kioxia are at around 100 €

Are there good alternatives from this company’s?

Here is the list of available SSDs and the preferred company’s

EDIT:
I chose the Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB

Hardware
Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-19 um 19.35.33.png

Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB
Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-19 um 19.28.06.png

Adapter is the small Sintech

Benchtest
Boottime from pressing the button to login screen
IMG_2326.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-19 um 19.26.43.png

Temperature
IMG_2328.jpeg

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-19 um 20.05.35.jpg

Big Sur and Window 10 is running on the 6,1. Until now I haven't found any problems. No beachball, no Lags, no waiting after pressing the button. Windows also running well.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have a 2TB 970 EVO Plus for more than six months. with my late-2013, no issues. You gonna need a heatsink for sure if you buy one 970 EVO Plus.

Several people on MacRumors prefer Toshiba/Kioxia XG6 and XG6-P blades, TRIM works fast and the blades are not so hot like the 970 EVO Plus, but it's unobtainable locally to me.

If where you live do not have scorching summer days, maybe you can avoid installing a heatsink, but probably everyone not near the Arctic will need one, even with somewhat cool blades like XG6. Clean installs and the indexing that happens right after can get a non-heatsinked blade to more than 70ºC in mere minutes.

I'd avoid any Kingston blades, the RMA process is a complete cluster**** process.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
I have a 2TB 970 EVO Plus for more than six months. with my late-2013, no issues. You gonna need a heatsink for sure if you buy one 970 EVO Plus.

Several people on MacRumors prefer Toshiba/Kioxia XG6 and XG6-P blades, TRIM works fast and the blades are not so hot like the 970 EVO Plus, but it's unobtainable locally to me.

If where you live do not have scorching summer days, maybe you can avoid installing a heatsink, but probably everyone not near the Arctic will need one, even with somewhat cool blades like XG6. Clean installs and the indexing that happens right after can get a non-heatsinked blade to more than 70ºC in mere minutes.

I'd avoid any Kingston blades, the RMA process is a complete cluster**** process.
What is with the trim problems (Samsung) I heard from?

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
What is with the trim problems (Samsung) I heard from?
I just replaced my Samsung with a Crucial. Since last OS update start up time was around 3-4 minutes and computer would randomly freeze a couple of times an hour with the Samsung. Everything is back to normal with the Crucial. Starts up in seconds and no freezing. Should have made the switch about 6 months ago rather than swearing at Mac everyday!

Reactions: TzunamiOSX

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
I just replaced my Samsung with a Crucial. Since last OS update start up time was around 3-4 minutes and computer would randomly freeze a couple of times an hour with the Samsung. Everything is back to normal with the Crucial. Starts up in seconds and no freezing. Should have made the switch about 6 months ago rather than swearing at Mac everyday!

What Samsung and Crucial exactly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.