Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B0bby

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2023
For me it’s not the look, it’s the survive from the drop. I’m not sure but somewhere I read that apple cases need to protect at least a one meter drop. That’s the standard from apple. Hope they can still hold it with the fine woven

Reactions: AnthroMatt

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
For me it’s not the look, it’s the survive from the drop. I’m not sure but somewhere I read that apple cases need to protect at least a one meter drop. That’s the standard from apple. Hope they can still hold it with the fine woven
Regardless of how it’s rated, it’s clear the FW case is primarily intended to reduce scratches and surface wear, not protect from drops in any significant way. For good drop protection you need at minimum a decent layer of TPU, air gaps (or TPE), and a stiff frame, none of which this case provides.

Last edited:

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Isn't the outer ring some kind of rubber?
It’s actually cloth that’s encased in some sort of material that looks like maybe an epoxy? If you look close you can see the fibers embedded in the sides. It’s hard, not at all rubbery.

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
not a drop test but this video shows how the case handled a drop onto some rocks

beginning at the timestamp. the outer frame looks like its fine-woven covered in a very thin layer or resin/epoxy whatever it is. and as others have said its hard, doesn't have give to it like rubber or tpu might

there was a reddit post floating around too of a fine-woven case with the outer layer peeling away

Reactions: Zensō
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.