Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, Apple leaker and prototype collector Kosutami claimed that Apple has decided to halt production of FiveWoven accessories over durability concerns. In a further update, the leaker has now suggested we might yet see one more round of FineWoven products in a season of new colors before Apple finally says farewell to the material for good.

iPhone-15-Pro-FineWoven-feature.jpg

Last September, Apple stopped selling genuine leather accessories in favor of a more environmentally friendly "FineWoven" material. The company describes FineWoven as "luxurious and durable microtwill," and sells FineWoven iPhone cases at $59, MagSafe Wallets at $59, AirTag holders at $35, and Apple Watch bands at $99.

Many customers consider FineWoven products to be subpar compared to the leather Apple cases they replaced, and claim that the fabric is prone to scratches, stains, and discoloration. If today's update is correct, Apple may have to brace itself for more unhappy FineWoven customers.

Kosutami is known for revealing accurate information about FineWoven accessories in the past, so their latest claim should not be discounted. FineWoven accessories in new color options were absent from Apple's spring refresh, so perhaps their swan song could come in September when Apple releases the iPhone 16 lineup.

Article Link: FineWoven Accessories May Get One Last Outing Before Apple Pulls Plug

• Haha
Reactions: SFjohn and DaPhox

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
"Over the weekend, Apple leaker and prototype collector Kosutami claimed that Apple has decided to halt production of FiveWoven accessories over durability concerns. In a further update, the leaker has now suggested we might yet see one more round of FineWoven products in a season of new colors before Apple finally says farewell to the material for good."

Those seem like two very different statements. One implies that they're stopping sales of the existing product soon. The other that sales will continue for at least half a year…

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Its somewhat ironic that their push to save the environment has hurt the environment more by designing, producing, and shipping products that no one seems to have wanted.

We know this wasn't about saving the environment though, if it was, they would have kept the same design as the previous phones so people didn't need to buy a new case. That would have been the best way to save the environment.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
Laugh all you want, but I've had my FineWoven case since November and have never had a problem with it. It still looks the same as it was brand new - minus the normal hand oil/whatever that's on it, which I clean regularly using soap and a toothbrush.

I would buy one again. I definitely prefer them over the silicone cases.

To each their own.

Chet-NYC

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2017
New York USA
If they do sell these for one more round, it would only be because they've already been manufactured.

When you find out that they're being offered to Apple employees at some ridiculously low price ($19 would be my guess), then you know for sure, they're on their way out.

DougieS

macrumors regular
May 31, 2019
"Over the weekend, Apple leaker and prototype collector Kosutami claimed that Apple has decided to halt production of FiveWoven accessories over durability concerns. In a further update, the leaker has now suggested we might yet see one more round of FineWoven products in a season of new colors before Apple finally says farewell to the material for good."

Those seem like two very different statements. One implies that they're stopping sales of the existing product soon. The other that sales will continue for at least half a year…
Maybe its the last run to clear out remaining materials to reduce losses.

techcboy

macrumors member
May 29, 2023
Its somewhat ironic that their push to save the environment has hurt the environment more by designing, producing, and shipping products that no one seems to have wanted.

We know this wasn't about saving the environment though, if it was, they would have kept the same design as the previous phones so people didn't need to buy a new case. That would have been the best way to save the environment.
You do know they don’t expect users to upgrade annually, the users that do upgrade every year would probably buy a new case whether it the old one fits or not. At least these case were using majority recycled material

techcboy

macrumors member
May 29, 2023
Apple should be refunding and apologising to customers for releasing such garbage.
tbh though some people (like BasicAppleGuy) have had them since launch and they still look great. I suppose it’s lifestyle dependant. I gave them a pass and got a silicon and clear case from Apple this year.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014

I disagree, I think this was precisely too much about saving the environment over customer satisfaction.

Sure, following that logic, the best way to “save the environment” would be to stop producing new iPhones completely. But it turns out people prefer getting new designs to reducing emissions. And that’s why keeping the iPhone design as it is, or more radical approaches, are bad ideas.

The only realistic way to sell more environmentally-friendly products is to make them better or at least as good as their predecessors. That’s the reason why FineWoven cases are a disaster, because they’re worse than the leather cases. And it’s the reason why keeping the iPhone design wouldn’t “save the environment”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackbequickly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.