Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maci96

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2023
It’s my first apple case and so far I really love the feeling of the FineWoven but after 2 weeks it already looks pretty used and getting ugly. This case costs 70€ and I’m kinda disappointed it gets ugly so fast. I really take care of my things and never put my phone on dirty tables, so it’s not my fault the case looks like this. What’s your experience so far with the FW?
IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_1137.jpeg

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Mine used since launch looks great, but it is navy blue so marks probably wouldn't show as easily. I was unhappy with the FineWoven case when I first opened it, but now that I am using it, I love it.

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
My launch day black FineWoven case and wallet both look new and they've seen quite a bit of use.

Reactions: bevsb2

Cedo_

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2020
It’s a lighter color, so it’s definitely going to show more than the darker color cases. I suggest using apples cleaning instructions, that will probably get you a decent result after it dries.

Reactions: maci96

Larabee119

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
why do people are so surprised about a fine woven case getting scratched / damaged / dirty easily??
It's a series of fine fiber woven together, so anything stronger than that will scratch it.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
why do people are so surprised about a fine woven case getting scratched / damaged / dirty easily??
It's a series of fine fiber woven together, so anything stronger than that will scratch it.
Right, and it’s not like leather, which will typically develop an aesthetically pleasing patina with use. It’s more like the material that the AirPods Max ear cushions are made out of.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

It's also not metal or glass. My cloths, backpack etc. don't seem to scratch at all. Nor does my "fine" pillow on the couch, even if i run my nail over it.

Whatever Apple chose for this, seems to be the wrong material, because it is not hard like metal and also doesn't want to "bounce back" to the original form like most fabrics.

Jared G.K.

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
because, if you create something that gets touched 200+ times a day, you better make something that ages beautifully like leather and not something that looks like a tramp's underpants after 2 weeks.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Is the case an adaptation to vegan sentiments? Just curious.
If it were, I’d figure that they would use a quality vegan leather. Much like cheese or shredded bbq meat*, the vegan alternative is probably a poorer substitute, but surely there’s a decent quality vegan leather out there.

* A lot of vegan substitutes lack the nutritional profile of the thing they’re substituting. Most notably, protein. While there are certainly vegan sources of protein, it seems like a lot of vegans probably don’t get enough protein in their diets. For instance, jackfruit is commonly used as a substitute for shredded chicken or pulled pork, but it’s literally just dietary fiber. I just found an article on PubMed about the nutritional profile of vegan cheese that noted only 3% of the cheeses they tested had more than 5g of protein per serving, so it looks as though my suspicions about vegan cheese were spot on. And vegan eggs are notably not fortified with vitamin B12, despite eggs being a good source of it and it being an essential vitamin commonly missing from vegan diets.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
If it were, I’d figure that they would use a quality vegan leather. Much like cheese or shredded bbq meat*, the vegan alternative is probably a poorer substitute, but surely there’s a decent quality vegan leather out there.

* A lot of vegan substitutes lack the nutritional profile of the thing they’re substituting. Most notably, protein. While there are certainly vegan sources of protein, it seems like a lot of vegans probably don’t get enough protein in their diets. For instance, jackfruit is commonly used as a substitute for shredded chicken or pulled pork, but it’s literally just dietary fiber. I just found an article on PubMed about the nutritional profile of vegan cheese that noted only 3% of the cheeses they tested had more than 5g of protein per serving, so it looks as though my suspicions about vegan cheese were spot on. And vegan eggs are notably not fortified with vitamin B12, despite eggs being a good source of it and it being an essential vitamin commonly missing from vegan diets.
They should eat more legumes, they are high in essential proteins. Maybe legumes can be turned into vegan leather cases also? Here in Sweden they are marketing crisps as vegan, since they are made of lentils. I have always wondered why potatoes are not considered vegan in that respect...

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I opened mine up and returned it the same day. What was Apple thinking. Nothing wrong with good ole leather! Man has been using it for ever and all of a sudden the green people pressure Apple to go against leather!

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
They should eat more legumes, they are high in essential proteins. Maybe legumes can be turned into vegan leather cases also? Here in Sweden they are marketing crisps as vegan, since they are made of lentils. I have always wondered why potatoes are not considered vegan in that respect...
It’s probably the animal fats in the cooking oils or maybe some preservatives or something. As for vegan leathers, I just did some research, and plastic based vegan leathers are common, but plant based vegan leathers are becoming more common. I could understand Apple trying to avoid environmental plastics (at least, ignoring the silicone and hard plastic clear cases they sell), so I guess that means considering plant based vegan leathers. It seems like the quality of them might be pretty low, more akin to bonded leather than full grain leather. The article I found did point out some environmental impacts of traditional leather production (particularly during the tanning process), though Apple, of all companies, could probably foot the bill for more environmentally friendly leather production. So it’s hard to say with Apple, maybe it IS an appeal to vegan sensitivities, or maybe it’s about the side effects of tanning, or maybe it’s cow methane.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
I quite like my case but I don't think its as nice as the old iPhone leather cases and it feels very overpriced for the materials/quality. I say "old" iPhone leather cases because last years were terrible quality.

Reactions: bevsb2

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I opened mine up and returned it the same day. What was Apple thinking. Nothing wrong with good ole leather! Man has been using it for ever and all of a sudden the green people pressure Apple to go against leather!

Sadly, and I’ll admit I don’t really get what is required to make a leather product as far as “greenness,” but since an awful lot of people are still eating cows, it seems like leather is out there and available for use. I feel like often we are throwing out the baby with the bath water in terms of trying to be more green, in the sense that so many substitutes require many more chemicals and products than the item it is replacing.

Just for instance (and I know this is not relative, but it’s what I can think of right off the top of my head) - coffee creamer. An oat milk, nut milk, or other non-dairy creamer will usually have at least 6-8 ingredients, often including oils and thickeners. My organic, grass-fed cream contains CREAM. Period. Though I would avoid dairy if all I could purchase was factory farmed, I have no clue how I would substitute it. The stuff in those creamers is garbage. Not sure how I’m ”healthier” consuming that than good ole’ grass-fed, single ingredient cream.

Like I said, I know that’s a stretch of a comparison, but it seems like the substitutes do not always make much sense.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
My two week old case is showing marks on the side. The two week old leather case on my prior iPhone 13 showed marks on the side. It's a case. It is meant to take abuse. If the case gets marks, so what? Those are marks that won't appear on the phone.

I also generally look at the screen, not the back of the phone. If I am taking a picture of someone I doubt they are going to remark that my case looks bad and they don't want the picture taken.

There are more important things in life to be worried about.

SRQrws

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2020
I'm pleased with my "evergreen" case. I've always had the Apple leather cases on my phones, but so far I'm just as happy with the new one. Everyday it's in the cup holder of my car and has been in my briefcase and pants pockets regularly with no visible marks. I expect it to age similarly to the leather cases with some rub marks on the sides and scuffs on the back. It's surprising to me how so many people, many of whom have not owned the case, have had such negative comments. It's a case....not fine art.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I'm pleased with my "evergreen" case. I've always had the Apple leather cases on my phones, but so far I'm just as happy with the new one. Everyday it's in the cup holder of my car and has been in my briefcase and pants pockets regularly with no visible marks. I expect it to age similarly to the leather cases with some rub marks on the sides and scuffs on the back. It's surprising to me how so many people, many of whom have not owned the case, have had such negative comments. It's a case....not fine art.
Not fine art, but a very attractive case in my opinion. It comes in nice colors, is sleek, fits well and everything lines up perfectly. I've been using mine since launch and it still looks new. I have the blue case and will probably get the evergreen one as well.

• Love
Reactions: orbital~debris

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Sadly, and I’ll admit I don’t really get what is required to make a leather product as far as “greenness,” but since an awful lot of people are still eating cows, it seems like leather is out there and available for use. I feel like often we are throwing out the baby with the bath water in terms of trying to be more green, in the sense that so many substitutes require many more chemicals and products than the item it is replacing.

Just for instance (and I know this is not relative, but it’s what I can think of right off the top of my head) - coffee creamer. An oat milk, nut milk, or other non-dairy creamer will usually have at least 6-8 ingredients, often including oils and thickeners. My organic, grass-fed cream contains CREAM. Period. Though I would avoid dairy if all I could purchase was factory farmed, I have no clue how I would substitute it. The stuff in those creamers is garbage. Not sure how I’m ”healthier” consuming that than good ole’ grass-fed, single ingredient cream.

Like I said, I know that’s a stretch of a comparison, but it seems like the substitutes do not always make much sense.
Recently I’ve taken up leatherworking, in part so I could repair leather items of mine. Had to replace the rivets on a leather bag recently, for instance. Since I can do some basic leatherworking now, I can make basic one off items for myself (like a razor blade cover or the phone pouch I made on Sunday) and repair leather items I own. In that regard, it’s probably far more sustainable than the FineWoven cases are.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022

I agree with you! Can’t be a shortage of cow hides . . . . yet.

I think Apple went leather free due to the pressure from the geeky green nuts! It was the fashionable thing to do.

Reactions: Oz.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.