Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HMI

Contributor
Original poster
May 23, 2012
I guess I’ll start:

One quote summarizes everything: “We’re all so F*ing stupid!”

This movie is the “Idiocracy” of matchmaking films, but with far less humor. It is quirky and enjoyable for a romantic movie made in 2023, but it’s also a bit frustrating to watch a serious-toned movie about finding love when idiots working at a respected matchmaking institution lead other hopeful idiot clients down the path of idiocy.

Don’t get me wrong. I mostly enjoyed this film, but the dramatic character arcs for most of the characters made them start as likable and slowly become less likable as they progressed through the storyline. And, that isn’t as much about me being judgmental of the characters as much as me becoming frustrated when they break their own rules of conduct and the professed boundaries they claim to hold for themselves. Their choices defy the factual science they claim to believe in.

I could create a list of all the ways each character is an idiot, but I’ll let you watch and figure that out for yourselves.

Perhaps, that is the only takeaway from this movie - that no matter who we are, what we believe, how well-intentioned or not we behave towards others, or how selfish we, ourselves, become - that, when it comes to finding/keeping/building/talking about love and intimacy, “We’re all so F*ing stupid.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.