Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
I surfed on to this page and notice MS introducing fingerprint technologies. And i think its a pretty good idea. I want to know if it was mac compat. or if apple was considering introducing something like this in the future. or just what pple thought in general about it.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I'm working on a project now that is insalling computers that use a fingerprint reader for user login. It's pretty simple stuff at this point, and works pretty well. (I can't for the life of me remember who makes the software we are using)... Some people's fingers don't work well with it, though. If you worked on a farm at some point, or worked with a lot of hard cleaning chemicals there's a good chance it won't recognize your print.

I have read some articles that some grocery store chain down south is installing fingerprint readers at the checkout and you can pay for your groceries by registering you print and checking account with the store and then just pressing your finger to the reader. That's it, no paper, no signitures, no cards. Just finger on, here's your reciept.

I like it. Some privacy advocates don't like it, but I for one am more paranoid about giving out my SSN. If someone wants your print they could get it from the keyboard you type your password/pin in. You can't lose your finger print, or have it stolen (without knowing it's missing right away). These devices are already pretty good at ignoring 'fakes', and I've seen some that have hea sensors to make sure the 'finger' being read is warm enough to be a persons.

Anyways, in my experience with them they are alright. I would like to have one at home that I could use for my passwords at websites and such. Have my password be a random series of characters and have the reader insert it only after verifying my finger. Would work nice. Same for the ATM... no mor lost cards or trying to keep the guy behind me from seeing my PIN...

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
mrgreen4242 said:
I like it. Some privacy advocates don't like it, but I for one am more paranoid about giving out my SSN. If someone wants your print they could get it from the keyboard you type your password/pin in. You can't lose your finger print, or have it stolen (without knowing it's missing right away). These devices are already pretty good at ignoring 'fakes', and I've seen some that have hea sensors to make sure the 'finger' being read is warm enough to be a persons.

Anyways, in my experience with them they are alright. I would like to have one at home that I could use for my passwords at websites and such. Have my password be a random series of characters and have the reader insert it only after verifying my finger. Would work nice. Same for the ATM... no mor lost cards or trying to keep the guy behind me from seeing my PIN...

Did you ever see that James Bond movie where a guy offers 007 a drink and then takes it to analyze his fingerprints after he handled it? The fingerprints matched although later 007 peeled off the fake prints from his fingers. Whether this is feasible or not I don't know, but fingerprints alone seems like a pretty risky strategy. If it were a matter of fingerprints only I bet there will be a rash of missing fingers and it wouldn't be hard to heat them to body temperature....

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I can remember reading about finger print scanners easily and consistently being able to fbe fooled, I think in particular it was those PDA based ones (google for it), they are NOT foolproof at all and using them for security purposes is simply a bad idea. At least on their own they would be fairly useless, with a separate passcode that pairs with the finger print the security would improve but still I wouldn't bother.

It's like at work we have smartcards that we can use for logon purposes but still need a passcode as well that just seems like a pointless exercise to me sure it adds another layer of security but not another good layer so why bother?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.