Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshuwa72

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
Chelsea, Michigan
I installed fink thinking it would make compiling apps with all the needed lib files easier...

well, ever since I installed fink, if I open 'terminal' I get this:

Code:
Last login: Thu Dec 25 00:20:59 on ttyp2
Welcome to Darwin!
/sw/bin/pathsetup.command; exit
Rawk-Box:~ joshua$ /sw/bin/pathsetup.command; exit
-bash: /sw/bin/pathsetup.command: No such file or directory
logout
[Process completed]

no matter what I do, opening terminal displays that, and I cant do a single thing.

If I open X11 and xterm, I can use the xterm terminal just fine - just not the os x terminal.

Ive looked through all my bashrc files thinking somehting was in there making it look for "/sw/bin/....." but theres nothing.

Is there a system-wide file (other than bashrc) that tells the os-x terminal to run a command on open??? or maybe a file that displays the "welcome to darwin!" text might have something in there?? I just dont know where to find it.

This all seems odd to me that xterm works fine, but os x's terminal does this. (both are using bash, too).

This also happened the very second I installed fink. it opened a terminal asking me to type yes or no - I typed yes.

I have since uninstalled fink, and the problem still remains.

any ideas??

thanks a ton in advance guys!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
the 'Welcome to Darwin!' text is just the message of the day, found in /etc/motd

check out this file:
Code:
/Users/<yourUserName>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist

and see if there's any value specified for the key StartupFile

joshuwa72

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
Chelsea, Michigan
Thanks alot!

Thanks - I never knew about com.apple.terminal.

It wasn't there under startup file, but "execution file".

I deleted it and now my terminal runs fine.

(which I guess dosnt really matter, because Im about to reformat and install OS X to see if my sonica audio card software will install on 10.3.0)

Thanks a ton though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.