Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacobv_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2017
Hi guys, so far in my app using swift and Xcode, I've created
Taking a picture and uploading it to firebase
and putting all users onto a database onto firebase

Now people can send an image to every registered user,
how would I go round making a friends view, that you can send requests to users and see all your friends, not all users like previously. I am using email and password authorization of firebase.

Thanks in Advance!

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Your going to need to do a few things.
1. All users can see only other users names until authorized to view their content.
2. Upon request, a user can grant another user access to their content.
3. A user can revoke that authority after being granted.
4. When users sign in, a query should be run to compile all other users content for viewing.
5. You're going to have to set up push notifications as well, so when I upload an image my allowed users get notified, especially if I'm tagged.

I'd set up an array that stored others IDs that have been authorized for viewing then build timelines based on that array.

What ever you do needs to be bullet proof with regards to privacy and you are also going to have to have policies on privacy, harassment, and ways to deal with suspending and blocking users, but also be aware that you can't block free speech which varies by country ...

If you have adult content or the potential for adult content you are also going to have to have some algorithms which search images for same, then a way to protect minors from accidentally coming in contact with these images.

It may be that firebase is taking care of some of this, but be warned that if you are creating the app, you will be responsible in court for any violations of privacy. Could get sticky.

Jacobv_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2017
Your going to need to do a few things.
1. All users can see only other users names until authorized to view their content.
2. Upon request, a user can grant another user access to their content.
3. A user can revoke that authority after being granted.
4. When users sign in, a query should be run to compile all other users content for viewing.
5. You're going to have to set up push notifications as well, so when I upload an image my allowed users get notified, especially if I'm tagged.

I'd set up an array that stored others IDs that have been authorized for viewing then build timelines based on that array.

What ever you do needs to be bullet proof with regards to privacy and you are also going to have to have policies on privacy, harassment, and ways to deal with suspending and blocking users, but also be aware that you can't block free speech which varies by country ...

If you have adult content or the potential for adult content you are also going to have to have some algorithms which search images for same, then a way to protect minors from accidentally coming in contact with these images.

It may be that firebase is taking care of some of this, but be warned that if you are creating the app, you will be responsible in court for any violations of privacy. Could get sticky.
[doublepost=1486819515][/doublepost]Thank you for the quick reply, this is going to be a very intensive job, are there any devices online that can do this?

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Yes, in a sense you are building or should I say rebuilding SnapChat, Instagram or Facebook which have teams of developers and lawyers to take care of it all. I'm not trying to squash your inspiration and drive, but you are undertaking a massive project. You have to ask yourself, are you trying to replicate what is already out there, or are you trying to build a new paradigm of interaction.

I briefly looked at the Firebase documentation, and much of what you may need is in the API, if you are going to go that route you may just need to intensely study the API documentation before you get too far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.