Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Firefox 1.0.1 is now out, I haven't downloaded it yet but hopefully it fixes some of the bugs in 1.0 :)

Edit: The menu bug is still there, so back to Safari for me.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Well, 1.0.1 is installed, and apart from a small problem where the new version apparently didn't like to be started from the old dick icon, everything seems fine...
...I don't have any menu bugs, that I know of, either... how about a closer description, Nermal...?

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2003
Got the update. No problem. I download the entire program then put it into Application folder and "trashed" the old one. I guess there is no "update" that just well, updates the old one???

Frank

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I'l try the new one in the hope that it is quicker but generally I prefer Safari.
I will not give up on Firefox though.

criana

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2004
Connecticut
I think when he says Menu Bug he's referring to a problem when trying to use certain sites that have drop down menus in their navigation.

You roll over the navigation on a site, the menu pops down, you move your mouse to the drop down and it disappears. And back to Safari I go.

I'd really like to switch over to Firefox. The other thing I"m looking for is inline-spell checking like Safari.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
brap said:
Perhaps Nermal means the inability to open new windows when you just have Download Manager open?

That one's annoying...

Yeah, that's the one, I thought it was common knowledge so I didn't describe it any better. It's not just with the download manager, I believe it applies to any window which doesn't have menus in the Windows/Linux versions.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Nermal said:
Yeah, that's the one, I thought it was common knowledge so I didn't describe it any better. It's not just with the download manager, I believe it applies to any window which doesn't have menus in the Windows/Linux versions.

I've seen a few like that but others I've seen have been corrected. Unfortunately, it looks like Gecko is more reliant on having good/correct HTML and JavaScript to work properly than most browser engines.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I wonder what the automatic check for updates version of this will work like (seems to not be available yet). Will it auto-install itself, or will it just link back to the mozilla homepage?

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Apparently they're waiting for the server load to go down a bit before releasing it through the auto update function. Presumably it'll self-update rather than direct you to the site.

bousozoku said:
I've seen a few like that but others I've seen have been corrected. Unfortunately, it looks like Gecko is more reliant on having good/correct HTML and JavaScript to work properly than most browser engines.

Huh? It has nothing to do with HTML or JS, it's a bug in the app itself.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Nermal said:
Apparently they're waiting for the server load to go down a bit before releasing it through the auto update function. Presumably it'll self-update rather than direct you to the site.

Huh? It has nothing to do with HTML or JS, it's a bug in the app itself.

Apparently, the sites I've seen that were corrected, mimicked the problem with bad code.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
criana said:
I think when he says Menu Bug he's referring to a problem when trying to use certain sites that have drop down menus in their navigation.

You roll over the navigation on a site, the menu pops down, you move your mouse to the drop down and it disappears. And back to Safari I go.

I'd really like to switch over to Firefox. The other thing I"m looking for is inline-spell checking like Safari.
ugh, the principal reason i use safari now. its just a pain to hit return while mousing over an item...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.