Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Software Update through Firefox' preferences is a joke... :rolleyes:

That's one of the things they should fix... although Security Fixes are always welcome, it's unecessarily akward to download and reinstall the whole program...

NaMo4184

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
lol

Yeah... it really pains me to uninstall firefox... that extra effort of dragging it to the trash is just too much. They should spend their resources making updating save me 10s on mac instead of security and feature updates... *sighs* :rolleyes:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
rasp said:
While I agree it's not good, it's better than it used to be, there was no notification of updates.

Did you get a notification for 1.0.3? I still only get themes and extensions, even when I click on the check all button in prefs.

Speaking of FF and security and automatic updates <insert whining> the one that still annoys me is that if you use search plugins, then you have to either reinstall them all or manually copy them inside the firefox.app folder to keep them when you update. If they fixed this, then I wouldn't complain about not being able to "update" my copy instead of re-installing it.

I also noticed something interesting. I de-admin'd my main account, and so it requires me to enter credentials for another super user account to make modifications to the /applications directory via Finder. However, Firefox is still able to modify its searchplugins directory (i.e. if I download a new plugin), without authenticating, even though my account should not have access. What's up with that? I guess maybe I should report it.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Usually there's a bit of a delay before the auto update feature notices the updates. They do this so that their servers don't get overloaded. At the moment, they're still making localised releases of 1.0.3, and they may not release 1.0.3 to the autoupdater until those are finished.

rasp

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Easthampton, MA
mkrishnan said:
Did you get a notification for 1.0.3? I still only get themes and extensions, even when I click on the check all button in prefs.

Speaking of FF and security and automatic updates <insert whining> the one that still annoys me is that if you use search plugins, then you have to either reinstall them all or manually copy them inside the firefox.app folder to keep them when you update. If they fixed this, then I wouldn't complain about not being able to "update" my copy instead of re-installing it.

Yes, notification works, it shows that FF 1.0.3 is avail, I can also update only the extensions if I wish.

As for the search plugins... odd that they store stuff in the .app folder.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
but of course Camino is the superior browswer! :D ;)

i might give FF a try with the next major release though, just for kicks..... its always good to see progress though, even if its security, every bit helps

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
NaMo4184 said:
Yeah... it really pains me to uninstall firefox... that extra effort of dragging it to the trash is just too much. They should spend their resources making updating save me 10s on mac instead of security and feature updates... *sighs* :rolleyes:
dragging it to the trash? i just wish that i didn't have to click yes i want to replace the old with the new.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
abc123 said:
dragging it to the trash? i just wish that i didn't have to click yes i want to replace the old with the new.

Well, until MS starts their viral distribution scheme for the Longhorn version of MSIE, I think you're stuck doing a click or two. ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
PlaceofDis said:
but of course Camino is the superior browswer! :D ;)

i might give FF a try with the next major release though, just for kicks..... its always good to see progress though, even if its security, every bit helps

When Camino works properly, it's a great browser but I have more trouble with its display of pages than with Firefox.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
bousozoku said:
When Camino works properly, it's a great browser but I have more trouble with its display of pages than with Firefox.

i personally have yet to have any one single problem with Camino thus far....but different people different uses and whatnot.....im still looking forward to that day that Camino goes 1.0.....aaaahh

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I keep Camino around for those few pages that don't work in Safari. I don't even have Firefox installed on this computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.