Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I initially thought to post this in the Older OS X Version forum, then realised that there was nothing earlier there than OS Lion (10.7).
My query relates to an Intel MacBookPro2,1 2006 17" laptop, and knowing there is an active Club 17 thread on this forum and also a number of very knowlegeable guys here with pre-Intel PowerBooks and Intel Macbooks I thought this may be the best chance to get a reasonable answer to my query.
I'm preparing a 17" Intel MacBookPro2,1 for local sale here after having completely refurbished it. I've changed the OS 10.6.8 'Snow Leopard' language to French. This configuration with a highly 'tweaked' FireFox 8.0.2 browser in English (updated from FireFox 10.0.1) worked a treat, and the laptop ran splendidly. I now wish to find the equivalent i.e. latest FireFox browser in French, and this is where I'm having difficulties.
From THIS OldVersion site I found and installed a FireFox French version 3.6.24. It ran, but badly. Obviously pretty outdated, but even with attempted tweaks it was almost unusable. (Also tried 3.6.25 but that appears to be an unsuitable Dutch version).
So my question is, would anyone (especially French speakers/FireFox users) know where I could find and download the last issued French version of Firefox to run on Snow Leopard.
Fwiw I've found and downloaded the latest French version of GoogleChrome, but wouldn't feel quite as secure suggesting that browser for regular use as I would a highly tweaked (albeit 2012) version of FireFox.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I initially thought to post this in the Older OS X Version forum, then realised that there was nothing earlier there than OS Lion (10.7).
My query relates to an Intel MacBookPro2,1 2006 17" laptop, and knowing there is an active Club 17 thread on this forum and also a number of very knowlegeable guys here with pre-Intel PowerBooks and Intel Macbooks I thought this may be the best chance to get a reasonable answer to my query.
I'm preparing a 17" Intel MacBookPro2,1 for local sale here after having completely refurbished it. I've changed the OS 10.6.8 'Snow Leopard' language to French. This configuration with a highly 'tweaked' FireFox 8.0.2 browser in English (updated from FireFox 10.0.1) worked a treat, and the laptop ran splendidly. I now wish to find the equivalent i.e. latest FireFox browser in French, and this is where I'm having difficulties.
From THIS OldVersion site I found and installed a FireFox French version 3.6.24. It ran, but badly. Obviously pretty outdated, but even with attempted tweaks it was almost unusable. (Also tried 3.6.25 but that appears to be an unsuitable Dutch version).
So my question is, would anyone (especially French speakers/FireFox users) know where I could find and download the last issued French version of Firefox to run on Snow Leopard.
Fwiw I've found and downloaded the latest French version of GoogleChrome, but wouldn't feel quite as secure suggesting that browser for regular use as I would a highly tweaked (albeit 2012) version of FireFox.
Why not just download the French translation in the version you want direct from Mozilla?

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

Reactions: CooperBox

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Why not just download the French translation in the version you want direct from Mozilla?

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

From that link, within 10mins I was able to find exactly what I was after. And I'd been searching for an hour or two yesterday. So many thanks for your reply.
FF now also tweaked for max efficiency.
I've also just been trying the Omniweb browser on it. Quite interesting, shame it's not kept current for these earlier OS`s.

Fwiw, these PowerBooks - especially the 17" in excellent condition (reconditioned/re-pasted etc) are still attracting a great deal of attention. I could have sold this one several times over.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Grab yourself Palemoon browser, and install the french language pack. Then you'll have a current and regularly updated mozilla based browser that still supports Snow Leopard :)

Download latest mac release here: http://mac.palemoon.org/dist/palemoon-27.7.0.mac64.dmg
Language pack download here: https://addons.palemoon.org/language-packs/
Palemoon's home page here: http://www.palemoon.org/

Cheers
I'd really like to try this on my SL Mac, but unfortunately it's not a Core Duo. Does Palemoon offer any 32-bit versions at all?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Not that i'm aware of. There is only one "main" guy doing the current mac builds, and all his are 64-bit. There are a few other people building palemoon for mac in the forums over there however. You might just get lucky and find a somewhat recent 32-bit version if you dig through there. I'd say more than likely not, but you never know. Good luck.

Cheers.

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
Having two Core Duo Macs I encounter this all the time - they are less supported than PPC Macs at this stage.
Windows 10 (32-bit version for Core Duos of course, 64-bit also works on the Core 2 Duo systems) and the latest versions of browsers etc run fine on them if you tweak the install DVD so that it boots on older Apple hardware (only 10 seems to need this, the 7 DVD boots without modification) and find any drivers that aren't automatically installed yourself... *hides*

Reactions: Dronecatcher
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.