Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Downloaded it

But still not compelled to drop Safari
Neither work with Wachovia Bill Pay (evil IE :mad: )

Unless there is a compelling reason, I'm staying with Safari :)

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
I also keep current with firefox, but I use safari a majority of the time ... 98%. If some page doesn't look right in safari, then i see how it looks in firefox ... i don't care how it looks in IE.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
OH, i didnt know this wasn't a complete version. If they can't speed up the launch time, I'm all in.
MacDawg said:
Downloaded it

...I hope UG knocks AU off their high horse!

GO VOLS!

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
MacDawg said:
Downloaded it

I don't like safari because i can't see where the links are going.
In mozilla/firefox and most other brower the links are viewed at the bottom of the page if you hoover the mouse over the link..

ThePreacherMan

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2004
Southern Arizona
Firefox Question

How do you import your favorites from Safari? There is an import option in prefrences but it won't work. Anyone else experiencing diffuculties? Any suggestions?

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
cluthz said:
I don't like safari because i can't see where the links are going.
In mozilla/firefox and most other brower the links are viewed at the bottom of the page if you hoover the mouse over the link..

Have you tried to turn on the Status Bar... View - Staus Bar

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
ThePreacherMan said:
How do you import your favorites from Safari?

How to spot an IE user: They call bookmarks favourites. :eek:

In answer to your actual question, I don't know, other people have had trouble too.

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
ThePreacherMan said:
How do you import your favorites from Safari? There is an import option in prefrences but it won't work. Anyone else experiencing diffuculties? Any suggestions?
In safari go to the debug menu and click Export Bookmarks. Save it someplace
In Firefox go to bookmarks->manage bookmarks. Then in the bookmarks manager to to import.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I'll take another look at the "polished" version when it comes out, but I recently went back to Safari after using Firefox for a while. The main problems for me were lack of single-window tabbed browsing, and passwords that weren't being saved.

Some Firefox features that I miss are type-ahead links, an extension to get rid of error dialog boxes, googlebar for searching with highlighted terms, better auto-completion of URL's (they stay out of the way), and probably a few more that I can't remember at the moment.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Bob Knob said:
Have you tried to turn on the Status Bar... View - Staus Bar

no... :eek:
Maybe I shold give safari another shot..
The spellchecker is a nice feature, especially since I don't speak/write english natively.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
MacDawg said:
Downloaded it

have you tried Safari's Debug menu that can be activated with OnyX or TinkerTool?

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I use firefox as my primary browser, but there are 3 things that are killing me...

One, open firefox and close all the open windows. Now go to tools-->Downloads. Now try to open a new browser window, it won't let you.

Two, close all the browser windows and try clicking on a bookmark. It won't open.

And three, i hate how the default skin on the mac doesn't show website icons in the bookmark bar or the dropdown menu like the windows version does.

Well, and one more... I can't figure out how to remove search engines fromt the search engine box.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
ZildjianKX said:
I use firefox as my primary browser, but there are 3 things that are killing me...

One, open firefox and close all the open windows. Now go to tools-->Downloads. Now try to open a new browser window, it won't let you.

Two, close all the browser windows and try clicking on a bookmark. It won't open.

And three, i hate how the default skin on the mac doesn't show website icons in the bookmark bar or the dropdown menu like the windows version does.

Well, and one more... I can't figure out how to remove search engines fromt the search engine box.

Well first two aren't possible on the PC version of Firefox, but the third one strikes me as odd. Site icons (bookmarks) and favicons (URL bar/tab bar) are switched on by default. I have to deliberately change the settings:

user_pref("browser.chrome.site_icons", true);
user_pref("browser.chrome.favicons", true);

both to false to disable icons.

I guess, the first thing would be to check wut these options are set at. You can find them through about:config, or you can use a custom user.js file set them.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I like firefox, much speedier than Safari (not a whole lot, but still noticable), and I hate the fact that when you have multiple GIFs on one page, that the computer goes up to 100% CPU and slows down... firefox doesnt do that for me.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
safari is a cpu hog, firefox sometimes uses more than i would like but it is much better. both still go crazy when there is flash on a page though, will that ever be sorted out?
i was also turned off safari when it wouldn't ever load pages.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Well flash takes some CPU grunt to support...if you have a G3 or a low-end G4, its not surprising that flash will have a huge hit on ur CPU utilization. Even at my clock speeds, it still takes a 15-20% chunk, which is alot.

Another method is to force flash animations to only play when you click on them:

http://www.floppymoose.com/

Go to the bottom of the page for the specialized flash-ad blocking code. It enables you to have all flash blocked on initial load-up. If you wanna see it, you simply click the region where the flash woudl be.

blvdeast

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Cliffside Park, NJ
For tab browsing, either hold down the command key when you click on a link to open it in a new tab, or press command T to open a black tab

To save passwords, go to preferences and there is a Saved Passwords option, mess with it to get your passwords to work

If you highlight something and right click it there should be an option to Search Web for what you highlighted

Not sure what is meant by type ahead links, but you would want to see error dialogs just for the security of your browser. For example if you type in http://www.yahoo.com:https://www.macrumors.com, in explorer (I don't know if it is fixed or not) you would see the first URL but be in the second URL. So you would click on a like that sent you to http://www.goodsite.com:hackersite.com. You would only see the goodsite on the address bar, but be in the hackersite. If you type that in Firefox, it alerts you.

jackc said:
I'll take another look at the "polished" version when it comes out, but I recently went back to Safari after using Firefox for a while. The main problems for me were lack of single-window tabbed browsing, and passwords that weren't being saved.

Some Firefox features that I miss are type-ahead links, an extension to get rid of error dialog boxes, googlebar for searching with highlighted terms, better auto-completion of URL's (they stay out of the way), and probably a few more that I can't remember at the moment.

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
Am I the only one who doesn't find Firefox particularly speedy on the Mac? When I bring up a page, I see the page being visibly drawn downwards line by line (it's hard to describe) instead of blinking into view at once.

Also, middle-clicking links to open in background tabs doesn't seem to work. I can't browse without that functionality.

Camino has the same gecko rendering engine as Firefox, but it's very, very speedy for me! And the middle-click thing works.

Admittedly though, the Firefox interface looks nicer and cleaner.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
CaptainHaddock said:
Am I the only one who doesn't find Firefox particularly speedy on the Mac? When I bring up a page, I see the page being visibly drawn downwards line by line (it's hard to describe) instead of blinking into view at once.

Also, middle-clicking links to open in background tabs doesn't seem to work. I can't browse without that functionality.

Camino has the same gecko rendering engine as Firefox, but it's very, very speedy for me! And the middle-click thing works.

Admittedly though, the Firefox interface looks nicer and cleaner.

I'm thinking that you're the only one because for me, Firefox is more speedy than Camino and web pages are quickly shown in all cases. Of course, media requiring a plug-in slows them down--equally. Pages without such media are shown almost instantly.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
FIREFOX:

I like Firefox because you can block certain site pop-ups but allow others to give you pop-ups.

I really liked the way it did "find" just start typing the word you were looking for...doesn't do that anymore.

remove imbeded ads

SAFARI:
Looks like an OS X app.

Doesn't have the status bar at the bottom...I kinda like that look. Makes the Window "float" more.

flat6

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2004
CaptainHaddock said:

That's what gets me right now.

That and QuickSilver insists on using Safari to open internet pages, and I haven't figured out how to tell it FF is the new hotness.

flat6

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2004
Hmmmm, also. I was looking over the most popular extensions, and saw that there was one which had gestures. It sounded cool, like jerk the mouse left and it'll go back a page, or make a circle and reload the page... but it didn't seem to work, or at least on OSX when I tried it :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.