Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
sadly, there are still going to be a bunch of mac users using explorer. every time i walk into one of our campus computer labs, there are rows of macs with safari and firefox sitting right there in the dock, but what are all of the kids using? you guessed it. everybody knows the ugly blue E and they think that IE is the internet - there's nothing else.

take a look at this post john hicks just made. this is a radio show with a "website of the day" and the comments the host makes are utterly pathetic.

i think firefox will definitely make inroads, but about 80% of people on the internet have no idea how to work a computer and the thought of a *gasp* non-microsoft product that they have to install themselves is quite scary. you can tell them it's better, but you'll always get the response, "oh, IE is just easier" or "maybe for web design stuff, but for daily browsing, IE is better". it's kind of like the arguements my boss makes as to why we don't have macs at the office, "yeah, macs are good for graphics and they never crash, but pcs are better for day-to-day things - if i go to the store and want to buy some software, i can get anything i want for a pc, macs probably have expensive software that you have to special order". funny, since the only software he buys at the store are anti-spam and anti-virus programs.

the best way to get firefox to take hold is to find peope who are fed up with pop-ups, viruses, and spyware, and install it on their computers for them. i've done this for several people, and they love it - telling their friends to ditch IE, but they never would have installed it on their own, they would have just dealt with the crap and complained.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
FattyMembrane said:
sadly, there are still going to be a bunch of mac users using explorer. every time i walk into one of our campus computer labs, there are rows of macs with safari and firefox sitting right there in the dock, but what are all of the kids using? you guessed it. everybody knows the ugly blue E and they think that IE is the internet - there's nothing else.

Until your computer services department decides to standardize on Firefox on all platforms :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I keep Firefox in my home directory, so I can use it in the computer labs without installing anything locally (and therefore breaking policy). I know that I'm not the only person that does this.

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
Firefox is speedy, but I still like Safari. I guess I've just gotten used to it. The bugs kill me sometimes though. I can't play the new 3D Spongebob game on Nick.com! Dangit!

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Firefox is nice but I prefer Safari. It just seems faster and smoother. Though I do use Firefox sometimes. I almost never go near IE.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
pgc6000 said:
Firefox is nice but I prefer Safari. It just seems faster and smoother. Though I do use Firefox sometimes. I almost never go near IE.

My wife and I don't use IE either. My wife uses Firefox quit a bit. Mainly because of login problems on some forums. For some reason with Safari the automatic logins aren't working. This forum is about the only place that it still works.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
lol, at my school when ever I come across a computer, I download Firefox and replace the Firefox icon with IE's icon, and rename it Internet Explorer. Most of the kids and teachers don't know the difference and keeps us tech people happy. :D

dylomel

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2004
Firefox

I use pc at home, and mac at school. Firefox rocks :D in mac especially since a lot of applications (sorry i don't know the terms) crashes with IE in mac and say "the application has quit unexpectedly" which is pretty frustrated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.