Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
This on an iMac running 11.5.2 with Firefox 91.0

A picture is worth a thousand words. Firefox incorrectly displaying my web page on the left, Safari. on the right, displaying the page correctly:

screenshot 2021-08-16 at 14.49.01.jpg

My web page is here in case you want to have a look: Mike Newman

Firefox does this on many pages, but not all.

I did go to the Firefox support page and reset Firefox, but that didn't change anything. I have the Dark theme enabled in Firefox, but it doesn't look very dark to me. I always have Dark Mode enabled on the iMac.

What have I done?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
As your page looks fine to me in FF 91, I'm not sure if it's really a problem on Firefox's side.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Exactly. I’m sure that’s true. That’s why I’m asking what I could have done to mess it up on my end.
It's a bit of a stretch, but worth checking: in Firefox's settings, under General > Language and Appearance, there's a button labeled "Colors". There's an option "Override the colors specified by the page with your selections above" at the bottom. This (afaik) defaults to "Only with High Contrast themes". Try to change that to "Never".

Reactions: Buadhai

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
It's a bit of a stretch, but worth checking: in Firefox's settings, under General > Language and Appearance, there's a button labeled "Colors". There's an option "Override the colors specified by the page with your selections above" at the bottom. This (afaik) defaults to "Only with High Contrast themes". Try to change that to "Never".
Yep. That did it. I wonder how it got set the way it was. I never, ever, go in to Firefox settings. I only use Firefox when I'm looking at news websites that are blocked by the Thai government. I use a VPN and Firefox in a private window. It was fine yesterday morning, but today the weird appearance showed up.

I would never have found this by myself.

Thank you so very much.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Yep. That did it. I wonder how it got set the way it was. I never, ever, go in to Firefox settings.
You're welcome. No idea what caused this. Maybe some weird interplay between macOS's dark mode and Firefox's theme. I also use these settings and, as I said, it worked fine for me. *shrug*

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I had the same issue with latest update . what
Janischsan wrote worked for me. I had to play with it a while a couple of days ago Nice if Firefox didn't make change and/or told how to get back.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
When I look at the Firefox update history it shows that version 91 was installed on August 13th. Thinking back, I realize that yesterday was the first day I'd used Firefox since that update. I can't be certain, but I'm guessing that version 91 introduced that change ("Override the colors specified by the page with your selections above."). I do have "Increase Contrast" turned on in Accessibility>Display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.