Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2002
I have a gas fireplace with a wall switch to turn the fire on and off. I would like to add it to HomeKit to be able to create scenes with the fireplace in it. Would a regular on/off HomeKit switch work for that? Is there anything special I would need to consider before wiring this up? I currently have the lutron casseta system throughout my house and it would be great to swap this out with the same setup.
Thanks!
Macaddict16

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
As much as I love Lutron's Homekit solution, they do not have anything that isn't a lamp switch.

The closest they have is the PD-6ANS, which is a non-dimmable light/fan switch. It's not rated for anything else though. I think a fireplace would not put too much of a load on it, but I'd ask an electrician about it.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I would think twice about this one. Smart light switches are great and all, but when it comes to anything involving fire and/or explosive gas...

Bkxmnr

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Wichita, KS
I think that wires from the fireplace to the remote switch carry only 12 volts DC. Would that be enough to actually power a homekit enabled switch?

Reactions: aristobrat

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I think that wires from the fireplace to the remote switch carry only 12 volts DC. Would that be enough to actually power a homekit enabled switch?
That's how mine is. It *looks* like a regular wall switch, but it's just a low-voltage "on/off" button (as you described).

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2002
I’m guessing there aren’t any low voltage home kit switches?

I don’t ever plan on using the switch when I’m not home and really only want it to be able to use it as part of a scene.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.