Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Just a miscellaneous query. I use an app, QuakeFeed. How can there be fires in Canada at this time of year? Isnt it covered in snow most days in late December? I know there were fires this summer, but now?

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Just a miscellaneous query. I use an app, QuakeFeed. How can there be fires in Canada at this time of year? Isnt it covered in snow most days in late December? I know there were fires this summer, but now?
Might I recommend using a different app? I use Watch Duty for my area and it's been more accurate than anything else I've found so far. While it doesn't specifically track Canada wildfires, earlier this summer, it did show them on the map and where the hot spots and air quality issues were. What I like about this app though is that it interfaces directly with NIFC and it uses actual human beings to spot and report wildfires and report on their size.

As for your question about fires in general...I suppose it's possible any time of year, given enough dry fuel and how it started.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Low humidity and high winds would spread a fire, although I don’t know what is causing them to start.

m..

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2022
I don't know about these fires in particular. But fires can overwinter under the snow in soil or peat gradually smouldering until the weather warms up in the spring, then reignite and spread on the surface.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I don't know about these fires in particular. But fires can overwinter under the snow in soil or peat gradually smouldering until the weather warms up in the spring, then reignite and spread on the surface.
Under the snow? I know coal tunnel veins smoulder but had no idea fires burned under snow?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
there is unrest in the forest
there is trouble with the trees
for the maples want more firelight
and the oaks sent them more breeze.......

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
MB, I want you to change chairs w Herman. You are the class poet today. And remember no more poems regarding Dave who lives in a cave.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Meaning the late great Neil Peart, who was drummer for the Canadian rock trio Rush, and also wrote most of the lyrics including those for this song:

perhaps, I cant say
since knowing he would not like the attention, reckoning or limelight.

did you see that document filmed recently (2022ish) with geddy and Alex return to their first concert hall?
that was funny, I think in st ctaherines!
Alex was in his normal form just spitting out sarcastic events and cleaver retorts about his childhood!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.