Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marineoceania

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Hey guys, I tried using my Apple firewire cable to sync my Touch, but it only charges and fails to show up on my iTunes or sync. My old Mini works fine and syncs as it should, but my Touch will not. Any ideas?

frojas

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
Newer iPods can charge using the Firewire cables for old iPods. But they won't sync using those. So it's working as expected.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I knew this..but never knew why.

Care to explain? I miss firewire syncing :(

firewire requires a chip at both ends making it slightly pricer, but the real reason is the space issue, just not enough room to fit it in them anymore.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
Ah okay that is what i thought, but i would be willing to go thicker for firewire again.. It is just so much faster haha

Two to three years ago, firewire was not common on Windows machines. So, it came down to selling more iPods to more Windows users. Make sense.

DsurioN

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Ah okay that is what i thought, but i would be willing to go thicker for firewire again.. It is just so much faster haha

Actually, FireWire is NOT faster:

FireWire 400 = 400 Mbps (that's megabits)
USB 2.0 = 480 Mbps

So unless you have USB 1.1, which is 12 Mbps, or FireWire 800, which is like 780 Mbps, USB is faster than FireWire.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!

USB 2.0 = 480 Mbps

So unless you have USB 1.1, which is 12 Mbps, or FireWire 800, which is like 780 Mbps, USB is faster than FireWire.

Actually, FireWire IS faster.

USB 2 is only rated at 480Mbps for burst data transfers — that is not the sustained rate. FireWire may be 400Mbps, but that is a constant speed, and why it is included in video cameras to the almost universal exclusion of USB2. Obviously, the initial iPod sync is going to be hit a bit by this, but later when only syncing a few new songs or whatnot it matters little (BURST :D).

thegrue

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007

USB 2.0 = 480 Mbps

As posted above, 480mbps is a theoretical burst rate for USB. In real world use, FireWire kicks USB2 into the gutter.

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
I don't want to be raped :(

USB 2.0 = 480 Mbps

Wow, I shall never trust you again..

haha j/k I work with video and I'd like to see someone transfer a 30gb movie project in 4 minutes with USB2

BTW, i do understand windows machines not having firewire, that is logical and all, but the older iPods were also able to sync via USB...I just don't see a harm done..

Also I almost kept my old powerbook instead of getting a new mbp, because it still had firewire 800...*drools*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.