Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
When I try to connect my old Panasonic DV camera to the mac (or any computer) by firewire It will either
A) Freeze Up the computer (Yes it happens on Mac and PC)
B) Not recognize at ALL
C) Recognize but not let me Control
D) Recognize but not know what Model it is (in iMovie)
E) Recognize and work great
Im getting fed up with A) through C) and im not sure what it is. Ive used my firewire cord for other things (and cameras) and its worked great, So ive narrowed it down to the firewire port on the camera thats bad. Any way to fix it? (Its like it is not connected right or not shifted the right direction [the port on the camera]) :mad:
Or is it time to just replace this old 5yr old camera?

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Wow thanks for responding.
And yes occasionally once I play with how the cord is in there for a while

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
If you can borrow someone else's camera and if their camera works okay then it's a pretty safe bet your camera is bunk. I have no idea how much it would cost to have the camera serviced, but I'd guess buying a new camera would be a more cost effective way to go.

Lethal

JHipp

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2005
GA
Your firewire port could be on it's way to dead place.

I wouldn't think it would be very much to have it repaired.

EDIT: Although I think it's about time for a new camera.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
LethalWolfe said:
If you can borrow someone else's camera and if their camera works okay then it's a pretty safe bet your camera is bunk. I have no idea how much it would cost to have the camera serviced, but I'd guess buying a new camera would be a more cost effective way to go.

Yeah I guess... Are there any tips anywhere to get more life out of a firewire port? They seem to wear out after a while. Even the ones at school. And those wear out ALOT quicker.

EDIT: I asked if i could get it serviced they said that i would have to send it in and it would cost me like 270 dollars or so. And its not a gaurnatee that it could be fixed... so a new camera looks like my way to go... My poor poor bank account, a new MBP and now a new camera...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Texas04 said:
Yeah I guess... Are there any tips anywhere to get more life out of a firewire port? They seem to wear out after a while. Even the ones at school. And those wear out ALOT quicker.
The only thing I can think of is just to be gentle when plugging and unplugging the FW cable. I'm not surprised they go bad faster in a school environment where they take a lot more abuse.

EDIT: I asked if i could get it serviced they said that i would have to send it in and it would cost me like 270 dollars or so. And its not a gaurnatee that it could be fixed... so a new camera looks like my way to go... My poor poor bank account, a new MBP and now a new camera...
Just think of it as an early birthday present to yourself. :)

Lethal

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
1) Use a Firewire hub so that the hub takes the majority of the plugging in and out, plus you can minimize the cable strain on the camera's jack.

2) If the firewire circuit is blown on the camera, you could be looking at a $500 - $800 repair.

3) NEVER hot-plug Firewire peripherals. Turn the equipment off first. Search for earlier threads.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
CanadaRAM said:
1) Use a Firewire hub so that the hub takes the majority of the plugging in and out, plus you can minimize the cable strain on the camera's jack.

2) If the firewire circuit is blown on the camera, you could be looking at a $500 - $800 repair.

3) NEVER hot-plug Firewire peripherals. Turn the equipment off first. Search for earlier threads.

Thanks, didnt realize that there was such a thing as hot plugging. Thanks taken to note! :)

Maybe the ZR500 from Canon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.