Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Hey guys I’m in a bit of a pickle here.

I bought a 2018 MacBook Pro 13 from a forum member here a few months ago. Every was awesome till today when I attempted to boot off an external drive. I selected the external as my startup disk. When it loads, it hangs on the progress bar right at the end.

So I try restarting without the external drive and a password screen comes up. I have no idea what the password is, tried guessing and nothing works. I messaged and emailed the seller a few hours ago, haven’t heard back. Hopefully he replies with the password or at least the receipt or invoice.

Last resort is that this thing does have Apple Care Plus which covers damage after a $299 deductible.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
You'll need to reach the seller. Nothing anyone here can do about a firmware password.

That being said, the firmware issue wouldn't cost $300 under AppleCare to fix.

Reactions: soulreaver99

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
For future reference, which password where you missing? Was it the one for FileVault, or something different?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
The real question, how do would-be sellers avoid this situation when selling their T2-enabled Macs? I don’t want to put myself or a buyer in this position.

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
The real question, how do would-be sellers avoid this situation when selling their T2-enabled Macs? I don’t want to put myself or a buyer in this position.
I don’t know how much Macs have changed with the T2 chip, as I have a 2015, but just don’t enable a firmware password? Or if you do, disable it.

I doubt it’ll be much of a problem, most people don’t need a firmware password or know how to even enable it.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Pretty much explains it here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198

make sure the seller removes the firmware password

I didn't see this mentioned in the article, if a user sets a firmware password, then prepares to sell the MacBook Pro by reformatting the disk and reinstalling the latest MacOS, is the firmware password requirement still there? I haven't seen anyone specify "turn off the firmware password" in the "How to prepare your MacBook Pro for sale" articles, maybe because it's new or the reformat/reinstall takes care of it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.