Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
I just ran the SMC firmware update on my wife's MacBook and it will not restart. It just sits on a blank screen with the fans running (I let it sit for a good fifteen minutes like this thinking that eventually something would happen... but no such luck).

The worst part is that I cannot even get it into target mode to back the stuff on it up!

This MacBook has already spent a few weeks back at Apple for the well documented "random shutdown" problems. They replaced several parts (although not the logic board). I have been a Mac user my whole computer buying life (about 20 years now), but this really has me frustrated. I know when I call Applecare I will talk to at least three different people who will all have me do the same things that I have already tried (take the battery out, reseat the RAM, hold down the power button, etc.).

I am not mad at them for making a bad computer (I bought my father a MacBook the same day I bought my wife hers and he has had no problem). Every company is going to have the occasional lemon. I am pissed that there seems to be lots of widespread problems with the MacBooks and they refuse to admit it!!!

Anyhow, any one else have similiar problems with the MacBook Firmware update? Any suggestions on getting things off my wife's hard drive?

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
pjkelnhofer said:
Anyhow, any one else have similiar problems with the MacBook Firmware update? Any suggestions on getting things off my wife's hard drive?

My firmware upgrade worked. I somehow wish I didn't do it because now the fans pretty much always running to keep the CPU below 60°C. Before the upgrade, they only kicked in around 80°C. Oh well... Do you hear any hard drive sounds when booting? Maybe it died...

I have the random power off problem too and I guess I'll get it repaired soon. How much time was it in repair? You speaks of weeks in plural... I'm scared.

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
MrCrowbar said:
My firmware upgrade worked. I somehow wish I didn't do it because now the fans pretty much always running to keep the CPU below 60°C. Before the upgrade, they only kicked in around 80°C. Oh well... Do you hear any hard drive sounds when booting? Maybe it died...

The hard drive and the fans all start spinning upon start-up. Then after about 30 seconds the both stop and then... nothing. Literally, it just sits there. The screen is on but blank and no further progress happens.

I have the random power off problem too and I guess I'll get it repaired soon. How much time was it in repair? You speaks of weeks in plural... I'm scared.

I called it two weeks. Apple called it eight "business days". More importantly, and I think I forgot to mention it in my original post, but the random shut downs returned about three days ago (I thought maybe the firmware update would help - otherwise, I wouldn't have even done it!).

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
pjkelnhofer said:
I just ran the SMC firmware update on my wife's MacBook and it will not restart. It just sits on a blank screen with the fans running (I let it sit for a good fifteen minutes like this thinking that eventually something would happen... but no such luck).

The worst part is that I cannot even get it into target mode to back the stuff on it up!

This MacBook has already spent a few weeks back at Apple for the well documented "random shutdown" problems. They replaced several parts (although not the logic board). I have been a Mac user my whole computer buying life (about 20 years now), but this really has me frustrated. I know when I call Applecare I will talk to at least three different people who will all have me do the same things that I have already tried (take the battery out, reseat the RAM, hold down the power button, etc.).

I am not mad at them for making a bad computer (I bought my father a MacBook the same day I bought my wife hers and he has had no problem). Every company is going to have the occasional lemon. I am pissed that there seems to be lots of widespread problems with the MacBooks and they refuse to admit it!!!

Yes we had this same problem, AppleCare are picking the MacBook up today!

Shut down the computer holding the power button down.

Then, hold down the Alt + Apple Key + P + R while turning the MacBook on.

Keep them down until after you hear the third bong. This is resetting your PRAM.

Your MacBook screen should come on, and you can back up your HD.

It took 5 phone calls for AppleCare to send out a box which really frustrated me, but they're going to check it out for whine, blank screen and speaker port popping.

Rich.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
pjkelnhofer said:
I called it two weeks. Apple called it eight "business days". More importantly, and I think I forgot to mention it in my original post, but the random shut downs returned about three days ago (I thought maybe the firmware update would help - otherwise, I wouldn't have even done it!).
Doesn't Boston have an Apple Store? Much faster to bring it in than work through the mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.