Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Hi! This has probably been asked already, but I can‘t seem to find it:
Last year I upgraded the firmware of my Mac Pro 4,1 to the one from 5,1 for Sierra. Now I just downloaded the final version of High Sierra, and at the start of the installation it says that it has to do a firmware upgrade for High Sierra. I‘m confused. Since my machine is not officially supported, why would it be offered a firmware upgrade? Does it do the same on an actual 5,1? And, most importantly, is it safe?
Thanks!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Last year I upgraded the firmware of my Mac Pro 4,1 to the one from 5,1 for Sierra. Now I just downloaded the final version of High Sierra, and at the start of the installation it says that it has to do a firmware upgrade for High Sierra. I‘m confused. Since my machine is not officially supported, why would it be offered a firmware upgrade? Does it do the same on an actual 5,1? And, most importantly, is it safe?
Thanks!
This is the thread you're looking for: APFS support enabled in High Sierra for cMP

Tizucumacu

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Thanks!
i have the same question, is the Firmware Update safe for 6 core cmP 4,1->5,1 ?

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Yep same situation. Let it go through with the firmware updates and it proceeded to install just fine. Took about 45 minutes total.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.