Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

I agree on the bands. They definitely don't appear to be anywhere near the style, quality or functionality of the Apple bands (although most Apple band will probably be north of $100).

What about the Cover Candy (don't like the name) for the Sport band? I plan on buying a couple of Sport bands (probably white and blue). Does the Cover Candy add accent with a unique look or make it look like a cheep plastic watch?

Also might spring a couple of bucks on the N1 and N4 dials.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
El cheapo band on a 18k solid gold that will likely retail for 5K makes no sense.

Indeed, however some may like to nice inexpensive metal strap onto a sports model and junk the bright colour rubber strap Apple are going to offer you with it.

Please also remember, unless we are talking about precious metals and/or a LOT of manual time making something buy a well paid human.

A LOT of expensive things are just above average items with that little better finish, in better packaging with peter presentation.

there are major markups on many high end goods which bear little relation to the difference in cost of the item.

You could have a item costs you $5 to make, you sell for $30
Then you have your higher quality item, costs you $20 to make, 4x the price, and you charge $100 or $200+ for it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree on the bands. They definitely don't appear to be anywhere near the style, quality or functionality of the Apple bands (although most Apple band will probably be north of $100).

What about the Cover Candy (don't like the name) for the Sport band? I plan on buying a couple of Sport bands (probably white and blue). Does the Cover Candy add accent with a unique look or make it look like a cheep plastic watch?

Also might spring a couple of bucks on the N1 and N4 dials.

Makes it look cheap, IMO.

----------

Indeed, however some may like to nice inexpensive metal strap onto a sports model and junk the bright colour rubber strap Apple are going to offer you with it.

Please also remember, unless we are talking about precious metals and/or a LOT of manual time making something buy a well paid human.

A LOT of expensive things are just above average items with that little better finish, in better packaging with peter presentation.

there are major markups on many high end goods which bear little relation to the difference in cost of the item.

You could have a item costs you $5 to make, you sell for $30
Then you have your higher quality item, costs you $20 to make, 4x the price, and you charge $100 or $200+ for it.

There you go again trying to brand Watch as a nothing special overpriced toy. Apple says that manufacturing one link band takes 9 hours start to finish. I would consider that a lot of manual time. But then I'm sure you think Apple is just making that claim up and anyone with a 3D printer could mock one up in a couple of hours. :rolleyes:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
There you go again trying to brand Watch as a nothing special overpriced toy. Apple says that manufacturing one link band takes 9 hours start to finish. I would consider that a lot of manual time. But then I'm sure you think Apple is just making that claim up and anyone with a 3D printer could mock one up in a couple of hours. :rolleyes:

No I'm not, and please don't label me as such.
I am speaking honest truth that most people should realise.

I was not speaking of the watch but in general.
You go into a fancy shop selling fancy candles, perhaps $60 for a candle in a glass.
It smells nice, its made from nice wax, the glass looks nice, the box looks nice. the storekeeper wears a pretty smart dress, the shop is beautifully decorated.
All gorgeous.
We just don't wish to mention that they are made for five dollars each in a small building on the industrial estate by workers on the minimum wage.

You must realize for a lot of posh high priced merchandise it's all fake and show with high prices to make people think it's special.

Again, nothing to do with the Apple watch, I'd just speaking in general.

As for 9 hours for a strap, I've no idea, never having seen a machine make them or how much manual labor is involved.

Seeing this one is not a million miles away from the 9 hour Apple one:
http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-p15742h189s869-Mesh-watch-strap-18m.html
Very fine tiny steel links and only costs 20 Euro's
I guess I wonder how the 9 hour Apple one is made.
And I'm sure many will find very nice quality straps to fit the lower priced Apple watch models without paying for the official bands if they wish something more reasonably priced.

Please note: I am not saying Apple are lying, but I know, and I think we all know, they are VERY clever and VERY careful with words they use, and a BOLD statement can lead you to think one thing, when in fact the reality is not quite what you may feel.

As in my saying my Tabasco Sauce takes 3 years to make

They store and age the mash in white oak barrels. Instead of laying the barrels on their sides, like wine, they're standing up. A layer of salt is poured over the top to help bolster the barrier to air.
These barrels are stored on Avery Island as well as 2 other off-island warehouses.
Interestingly enough, Tobasco says they are "aged for up to three years".

Yes it may do, but I'm still churning out 1000's of bottles a day for $2 each.
The 3 years statement, whilst true can be used to alter the perception.

Apple could say, Look at this Amazing Bottle of Apple Brand Tabasco Sauce, which takes us 3 years to make each bottle. See how that sounds, and yes it's true, but it's using words in a clever way.
They may be using the "9 hours" in a similar way for all we know.

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
El cheapo band on a 18k solid gold that will likely retail for 5K makes no sense.

Go on Instagram. There are guys putting on $15 straps on $30,000 Panerais and vintage Paul Newman Daytonas. Most of them are nylon NATO G10 straps.

I've seen it and I can't unsee it. Search for #watchstraps #strapoftheday #watchesofinstagram

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Go on Instagram. There are guys putting on $15 straps on $30,000 Panerais and vintage Paul Newman Daytonas. Most of them are nylon NATO G10 straps.

I've seen it and I can't unsee it. Search for #watchstraps #strapoftheday #watchesofinstagram

Must be faked Panerais. I saw one. It costs just $100 and look extremely alike.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Sorry TL;DR

Ultra short version:

Don't take everything that's said by a large corporation trying to big up something simply on face value, esp when you know full well, such words and statement are very carefully selected.
What they say is usually true, but the statement may not actually mean in reality exactly what you think it means.

I give "you" more credit than that. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.