Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Hi,

I'm looking for someone that has a first alert smoke and Carbon monoxide detector with homekit. I was able to add them through the home app but would prefer not to use the first alert app. BUT when I click on the sensors in the home app it shows that setup is needed. Since they are added in the home app and I can trigger automations etc. Do I have to go through the manufacturer app? Would I get notifications on my phone if the detector goes off?

Also can I silence the detector via siri without the First alert app? I'd rather not scare all my pets while testing different scenarios. I find it curious that one cannot control more of the device functions (silencing etc) via home app.

This goes for almost all my smart things. The Thermostats don't like that I am not registered through their app, the lock cannot set timed codes in home app (but can in lock app) and purifiers offer more granular control through their app.

One reason I chose homekit was that I could manage it all in one place with my data/network not being accessed by multiple vendors. Am I the minority? Do you just also use the manufacturer app for extra features?

Sorry went off topic,

philly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.