Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I have never had an AW. I’m 64 and have been walking to loose weight. I’d like to have an AW but they are so expensive on a retired budget. I saved hard to possibly get the ipX but might have to wait until next year. I need some feedback please.

Since I’m just using basic health functions would the series 2 still be a good choice?
Will there be many to choose from since so many will be upgrading? Will the price be lower than it is now, in a little while? My Best Buy has a series 2 open box for $283. Sams club has them for $288. That’s it for my city. For $50 more I could get a 3 for gosh sakes.
If private parties are going to sell their 2s, where would I look to find one? I’m nervous about buying from a stranger...eBay doesn’t seem to have great prices so far either.

slears

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Warrington,UK
If it’s just the health tracking features that you are looking for then a series 1 should do you fine as it works the same just a little slower. You could even pickup a 2nd hand series 0 for next to nothing now in order to provide that bit of extra motivation.

This will give you at least another 12-24 months of use before you upgrade again.

If you are extremely budget conscious and are struggling to afford the watch, for the health features perhaps look at a Fitbit as these are a great deal cheaper and offer similar fitness tracking / step counting abilities.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I searched eBay again and see completed sales at $150 so that’s encouraging. I’d rather have the Apple so it talks to my phone :). I can’t plan on upgrading again as things are only going to get worse financially, so I’d like one that’s going to last awhile.
Thanks for the feedback on the 2 even prior working for my needs. That helps

Reactions: slears

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
I searched eBay again and see completed sales at $150 so that’s encouraging. I’d rather have the Apple so it talks to my phone :). I can’t plan on upgrading again as things are only going to get worse financially, so I’d like one that’s going to last awhile.
I'd say if longevity use is a factor, series 2.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA

I don't know if you're able to see the Marketplace here on MacRumors or not, but if you have the requisite posts, it's not a bad place to look for a used Apple Watch. There are (I'm sure) plenty of people here that are going to upgrade to the S3 and will offload their S2 at a decent price.

SomeGuy2112

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
I'm in that boat, upgrading my Series 2 space gray to a Series 3. OP, feel free to PM me if interested as I plan on selling my Series 2 shortly. 42mm space gray still have the box, etc, Excellent condition. :)

Reactions: Laryl

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I don't know if you're able to see the Marketplace here on MacRumors or not, but if you have the requisite posts, it's not a bad place to look for a used Apple Watch. There are (I'm sure) plenty of people here that are going to upgrade to the S3 and will offload their S2 at a decent price.

Sadly I’m way short of the requirement of posts. :(
[doublepost=1506035099][/doublepost]
I'm in that boat, upgrading my Series 2 space gray to a Series 3. OP, feel free to PM me if interested as I plan on selling my Series 2 shortly. 42mm space gray still have the box, etc, Excellent condition. :)
I’m hoping for a 38mm for my super tiny wrists :(

Last edited:

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
I'm getting my series 3 tomorrow will try and sell my series 2 as well which is less than a year old

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I'd recommend checking out Swappa.com for used watches.

Also check out Apple's refurb shop. https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/apple_watch
You'd have the benefit of a full 1 year Apple warranty, just as if you'd bought it new.
Stock is real-time so it can change. The site refurb-tracker.com can help you know what's been seen previously and alert you when a particular model/config becomes available. Just be sure to act fast when what you want is available, as I said stock is real-time and can sell out again.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I'd recommend checking out Swappa.com for used watches.

Also check out Apple's refurb shop. https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/apple_watch
You'd have the benefit of a full 1 year Apple warranty, just as if you'd bought it new.
Stock is real-time so it can change. The site refurb-tracker.com can help you know what's been seen previously and alert you when a particular model/config becomes available. Just be sure to act fast when what you want is available, as I said stock is real-time and can sell out again.

I didn’t know about that.. thanks for that tip!
[doublepost=1506041969][/doublepost]
I'm getting my series 3 tomorrow will try and sell my series 2 as well which is less than a year old

Feel free to message me details :)

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I didn’t know about that.. thanks for that tip!
[doublepost=1506041969][/doublepost]

Feel free to message me details :)

You're welcome. Over the years I've bought many things from the Apple refurb store. Everything (ipads, computers) has been indistinguishable from brand new, except the price and the box it arrived in.

Reactions: Laryl

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Longevity and price, get Series 1. Same processor = same year support for series 1 and 2. Series 3 might go a little bit longer while series 0 is sure to be dropped next year.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
You're welcome. Over the years I've bought many things from the Apple refurb store. Everything (ipads, computers) has been indistinguishable from brand new, except the price and the box it arrived in.

It should be noted that the Apple Watch refurbs do not come with the 5 Watt power adapter either. Weird, I know.

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
I will second the Series 1 recommendation. It has the same processor as the Series 2 just without GPS and the additional water resistance so if you dont need those then its a great option. I can't imagine the Series 2 having longer support than the Series 1.

SomeGuy2112

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Water resistance was a game changer for me. By far the biggest reason I jumped up to the Series 2.

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I bought my first Apple Watch used off of ebay two years ago and it's still going strong today. But I also believe a fit bit is a good choice if you're just trying to track steps or activities
Another place to look for used ones is Swappa. I have had good luck buying from that site as well

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I appreciate the comments and hopefully they will help others too. I went to a local store who had all 3 in stock, series 1and 2 even open box. They weren’t busy so I spent a long time and in the end came home with a 3. I told hubby that it’s my birthday and Christmas present both this year.. and I’m not planning on upgrading my phone now, like I had been saving for. :) this thing is sure sweet!
The difference in the prices just wasn’t enough. I didn’t get cellular. Regular aluminum, space gray. Happy birthday and merry Christmas to me! :)

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Search craigslist and you might be able to luck up. I just picked up a mint condition Series 2 Silver aluminum for $180. The seller just bought it in July 2017.

vista.john

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Wow, that's a decent price! for 180$. For some reason, people around here wants a lot more than that... Hard to see anything below 250$. I'd be crazy to pay 250 for a used while apple refurbished is close tot that price.

Search craigslist and you might be able to luck up. I just picked up a mint condition Series 2 Silver aluminum for $180. The seller just bought it in July 2017.

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Wow, that's a decent price! for 180$. For some reason, people around here wants a lot more than that... Hard to see anything below 250$. I'd be crazy to pay 250 for a used while apple refurbished is close tot that price.
I guess I lucked up, because most are a lot more expensive on there. You never know what deals you’d find on there unless you frequently check it out.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ

Edit because I’m sleep deprived lol. Locally new they are 283 so yes 180 would be a deal. But from 280 to 329 I just went new

Last edited:

SomeGuy2112

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
I'll likely put mine on eBay or Swappa soon, but if anyone is looking, feel free to reach out with a reasonable offer. I'm going to be parting with my Space Gray 42mm Series 2 very soon. Purchased in May of this year and in excellent condition. :D

Alway prefer things go to someone in the "community" as opposed to thought ebay whenever possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.