Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I charged it throughout the night and it was at 100% I had it sync some music while on the charger and when I left the house I noticed I was down to 90%. It's 90 minutes later and I've used it sporadically since and I'm at 79%.
----------
Down to 43% from 47% about 35 minutes ago. Also loosened the band. I'm actually used to the haptic feedback so far and no issues with Siri since the reset. I disabled heartrate monitoring to see if that had an impact.
----------
It hit about 8% after 12 hours of use so I charged it fully. Took it off the charger at 100% and wore it for a few minutes - stayed at 100%. I put it in a nightstand drawer with the phone on top of the table at about 10:30pm and 7 hours later with no use it is at 90%

----------
I am just over two hours with limited use and am at 94% now, so that's around my situation.

----------
Just for tracking, ran workout for 30 minutes in addition to using it for walking and texting as I did yesterday and am at 63%, up from the 43% from yesterday with more usage. Even though I started 10% higher today, that's an improvement.

----------
showing off their watches and one boasted about waking up 20%, taking a 45 minute run and going to work an hour later at 16%. I, on the other hand, resync'ed the watch, had it at 33% when completed, customized my watch faces for about three minutes, checked out which apps had installed over another 30 seconds, answered one text message without Siri, and am at 27% 24 minutes later.

----------
I am currently losing 10% an hour. I am at 3.5 hours and am at 66%. !

I suggest you stop looking at the battery percentage and just use the watch as you normally would.

I honestly think you are using half the battery by constantly checking the percentage!

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Your battery life definitely does not seem typical. I hope it hasn't turned you off to the watch completely. Not sure why they wouldn't just replace it, but if you otherwise like the watch, then return the one you have and get a new one. I haven't had any battery problems, lasts all day and usually have at least 40% charge still at the end of the day.

I'm fairly turned off by the experience. I went back to my Pebble for the six days Apple had my watch. It worked flawlessly and only needed a single charge. The Apple Watch was a toy. It's certainly not a necessity as the phone does everything the watch does, but it was a fun-money-blowing toy, and it's especially disheartening to hear so many people having a significantly better experience and to have Apple refuse to service the battery because it's fine. I shouldn't have to be afraid to check the time because "battery." :p.

----------

----------

----------

----------

----------

----------

----------

I suggest you stop looking at the battery percentage and just use the watch as you normally would.

I honestly think you are using half the battery by constantly checking the percentage!

I check the battery from the complication when the screen is already active. It's fairly easy to trigger as I go throughout my day. One of the reasons I think I am done is I go out of my way to avoid using the watch unless it's absolutely inconvenient to use the phone.

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
I'm fairly turned off by the experience. I went back to my Pebble for the six days Apple had my watch. It worked flawlessly and only needed a single charge. The Apple Watch was a toy. It's certainly not a necessity as the phone does everything the watch does, but it was a fun-money-blowing toy, and it's especially disheartening to hear so many people having a significantly better experience and to have Apple refuse to service the battery because it's fine. I shouldn't have to be afraid to check the time because "battery." :p.

----------

I check the battery from the complication when the screen is already active. It's fairly easy to trigger as I go throughout my day. One of the reasons I think I am done is I go out of my way to avoid using the watch unless it's absolutely inconvenient to use the phone.

Since it seems apparent that there is an issue with your watch, I think it's a shame to let it destroy the whole experience for you. If you otherwise like the watch, then replace it. If it doesn't fit your lifestyle the way you'd hoped it would, then return it and stick with your Pebble. It's a totally personal choice.

Ocean1286

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
I did a factory restore to mine Tuesday evening and yesterday my watch died by 3pm. Usually I have at least 20% left when I go to bed around 11pm.

I think the watch must be working in the background to calibrate your fitness data on the first day. Today is the second day and the battery life seems to be doing MUCH better.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Since it seems apparent that there is an issue with your watch, I think it's a shame to let it destroy the whole experience for you. If you otherwise like the watch, then replace it. If it doesn't fit your lifestyle the way you'd hoped it would, then return it and stick with your Pebble. It's a totally personal choice.

You're absolutely right. It's first generation blues talking. They can't swap it out because they can't have any. It's a nice watch, but I'd have to reorder and presumably wouldn't see it until July.

----------

I did a factory restore to mine Tuesday evening and yesterday my watch died by 3pm. Usually I have at least 20% left when I go to bed around 11pm.

I think the watch must be working in the background to calibrate your fitness data on the first day. Today is the second day and the battery life seems to be doing MUCH better.

That's actually a possibility. This thing had been restored multiple times but it did return from depot repair dead as a doornail. My concern is even sitting on the table it's losing 6% an hour. That makes no sense to me?

I did contact the Apple Store. They have no spare watches for exchanges and said they would have to send it to depot repair, whom just sent it back to me saying it was fine.

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
That's actually a possibility. This thing had been restored multiple times but it did return from depot repair dead as a doornail. My concern is even sitting on the table it's losing 6% an hour. That makes no sense to me?

I did contact the Apple Store. They have no spare watches for exchanges and said they would have to send it to depot repair, whom just sent it back to me saying it was fine.

How often are you activating the watch face while it's sitting on the table?

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
It's possible it's just first day weirdness. I noticed the first day mine drained battery like crazy, but the next day it was fine. I've also found "Hey Siri" to work only about half the time. I do know that I can't say "Hey Siri" while I'm rotating my wrist - the screen has to be completely lit before calling to Siri. To use Siri with the button, I've found you have to hold it the whole time you're asking Siri a question as she stops listening if you stop pressing (so annoying).

I also had some haptic/sound setting weirdness that first day (getting sounds when notification volume was off, not feeling the haptic taps, etc), but that resolved itself.

If you're still having major battery drain after a few days, then that might be a sign that you have a defective unit.

That's not true. You only have to hold the button until the Siri screen comes up. Then you can let go and start talking. That's how I've been doing it, and I just tested it before responding since this post made me question it, haha.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
How often are you activating the watch face while it's sitting on the table?

On the table I'm not. I woke up in the middle of the night and it was fully charged. I yanked the charger and went back to sleep and woke two and a half hours later to an 87% battery. As of this morning I had it charged again by 6, and by every hour I am down 10%, including when I have it in the box awaiting return. (I'm at 56% currently - just checked.)

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011

Man, I feel the exact opposite. After using my Apple Watch for the past 6 days, there's no way I'd go back to my Pebble Steel. In comparison, it just looks and feels like a cheap piece of crap now. Not to mention its functionality is much more limited, and screen doesn't come even remotely close to looking as good (although it does have the benefit of an always-on display, which is the only thing I miss). I feel like Pebble Steel was the "toy" and the Apple Watch is a classy, useful device that adds just a little more convenience to my day.

I have subliminally worried about the battery on my Apple Watch, and randomly checked a few times throughout the day, but it has not disappointed me yet. I mean so far I've had it off the charger for 3.5 hours and I'm only down to 92%. In general, it has been at about 40-50% when I go to bed and charge it. Also I have not disabled anything - everything is still on. I don't have any complications though, as I prefer the clean look of the Motion clock face. I just use glances for a quick view of weather and battery percentage as necessary (I don't feel that I need to see them every time I look at the watch).

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA
I wonder how many people with battery issues have the battery % displayed on their watch face, and if that makes a difference in battery life?
From the beginning, a month now, I have not had it on my watch faces. I don't want to know lol. And I've had great battery life, always ending my 16 hour day with 40% or more.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Man, I feel the exact opposite. After using my Apple Watch for the past 6 days, there's no way I'd go back to my Pebble Steel. In comparison, it just looks and feels like a cheap piece of crap now. Not to mention its functionality is much more limited, and screen doesn't come even remotely close to looking as good (although it does have the benefit of an always-on display, which is the only thing I miss). I feel like Pebble Steel was the "toy" and the Apple Watch is a classy, useful device that adds just a little more convenience to my day.

I have subliminally worried about the battery on my Apple Watch, and randomly checked a few times throughout the day, but it has not disappointed me yet. I mean so far I've had it off the charger for 3.5 hours and I'm only down to 92%. In general, it has been at about 40-50% when I go to bed and charge it. Also I have not disabled anything - everything is still on. I don't have any complications though, as I prefer the clean look of the Motion clock face. I just use glances for a quick view of weather and battery percentage as necessary (I don't feel that I need to see them every time I look at the watch).

I miss the 24 hour activity monitoring, the ability to use it as an alarm clock and to shower with it. For the screen there is no question, the Apple Watch is far superior, but in my case, it's a half day device. :p

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I check the time frequently and look at tons of notifications as they come in. Read some email off the watch. Not too much with Siri to be honest. Prominent haptic on. Sound off. Brightness at 2/3. 42mm watch size.

I put it on at 7am. Take it off around 12:30am. Almost always have at least 35% charge remaining, typically 40+%.

Put it on today at 6:50am. It's currently 10:40am. Battery is at 91%. Watch app on iPhone says 41 minutes usage, 3hrs 45min standby.

I'm more than satisfied with the battery life.

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
I have the battery percentage as a complication on my watch face and don't have any battery issues. I'm at 92% and it's been off the charger and on my wrist for a little over 3 hours now.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I miss the 24 hour activity monitoring, the ability to use it as an alarm clock and to shower with it. For the screen there is no question, the Apple Watch is far superior, but in my case, it's a half day device. :p

I'm not sure which watch you're referring to in your first sentence. I know the Apple Watch has 24-hour activity monitoring and an alarm clock (I don't remember what's on the Pebble since I really only used it for notifications and Pandora), but both watches are quite water resistant (though I personally would never want to shower with one on, just because I don't see a reason to). So that kinda threw me off, haha.

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA
I have the battery percentage as a complication on my watch face and don't have any battery issues. I'm at 92% and it's been off the charger and on my wrist for a little over 3 hours now.

Ok Susan. What size watch do you have? I'm at 92% also, no battery % on face. I'm getting close to 5 hours now but not much usage on my 38.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 61

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I check the time frequently and look at tons of notifications as they come in. Read some email off the watch. Not too much with Siri to be honest. Prominent haptic on. Sound off. Brightness at 2/3. 42mm watch size.

I put it on at 7am. Take it off around 12:30am. Almost always have at least 35% charge remaining, typically 40+%.

Put it on today at 6:50am. It's currently 10:40am. Battery is at 91%. Watch app on iPhone says 41 minutes usage, 3hrs 45min standby.

I'm more than satisfied with the battery life.

I would be too! I tried yet another reset of mine but the battery was already below 50% so I am stuck until I get my charger.

----------

I'm not sure which watch you're referring to in your first sentence. I know the Apple Watch has 24-hour activity monitoring and an alarm clock (I don't remember what's on the Pebble since I really only used it for notifications and Pandora), but both watches are quite water resistant (though I personally would never want to shower with one on, just because I don't see a reason to). So that kinda threw me off, haha.

Sorry, on the pebble I monitor both my sleep pattern and steps during the day. My apple watch doesn't stay powered long enough to do both. Same with the alarm clock

----------

Ok Susan. What size watch do you have? I'm at 92% also, no battery % on face. I'm getting close to 5 hours now but not much usage on my 38.

Critical question on this. The repair center said my battery was fine, so the issue would then be usage. I've looked at behavior based drains, but I noticed in this graphic there is a major disparity between use and standby. This morning mine were on each other's heels. Possibly due to the reset yesterday it was still loading info in the background and draining the power, or perhaps there was something still refreshing in the background?

What settings do you use for notifications? When I called the Apple Store earlier a non-genius took pity on me and went over some settings from her watch. She was under the impression that if you use an app (CNN) and allow notifications, your watch is constantly looking for notifications from CNN and drains power. I thought it just meant the phone would send to the watch when CNN updates. In other words, if I have a thousand apps on my phone and enable notifications on all of them but 999 only update once a year in December, is my watch going to drain constantly waiting for notifications or will there be no difference until update time?

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015

As noted on my signature line, 38mm

----------

I would be too! I tried yet another reset of mine but the battery was already below 50% so I am stuck until I get my charger.

----------

Sorry, on the pebble I monitor both my sleep pattern and steps during the day. My apple watch doesn't stay powered long enough to do both. Same with the alarm clock

----------

Critical question on this. The repair center said my battery was fine, so the issue would then be usage. I've looked at behavior based drains, but I noticed in this graphic there is a major disparity between use and standby. This morning mine were on each other's heels. Possibly due to the reset yesterday it was still loading info in the background and draining the power, or perhaps there was something still refreshing in the background?

What settings do you use for notifications? When I called the Apple Store earlier a non-genius took pity on me and went over some settings from her watch. She was under the impression that if you use an app (CNN) and allow notifications, your watch is constantly looking for notifications from CNN and drains power. I thought it just meant the phone would send to the watch when CNN updates. In other words, if I have a thousand apps on my phone and enable notifications on all of them but 999 only update once a year in December, is my watch going to drain constantly waiting for notifications or will there be no difference until update time?

I have notifications set to mirror my iPhone, but don't have a lot of apps on my watch. Also I do not get email on my watch (just doesn't make sense to me, though I know it certainly is useful for others). I use messaging regularly, activity tracking and workout, and look at the current time and temp often.

Caffajake

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
LDN
My 38mm lasted 8 hours before it was down to 10% and giving me power warnings today - first full day of using it. Hopefully what everyone is saying about the first day battery drain is right! My iPhone battery has been hammered today as well.

Will report back tomorrow.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Here's a screenshot of my usage

That's entirely different from mine and I suspect the culprit. Caffajake, what does hour usage show? We are in the same boat today.

I wonder what is happening behind the scenes in that first day.

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
That's entirely different from mine and I suspect the culprit. Caffajake, what does hour usage show? We are in the same boat today.

I wonder what is happening behind the scenes in that first day.

Did you post a screenshot of your usage?

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Did you post a screenshot of your usage?

Of the times? I hadn't and I attempted a reset and the battery is too low so I cannot until later, but as of this morning it was within three minutes at the hour mark and eight minutes as the two hour mark. I assumed accidental triggering of the watchface was responsible for most but am not not so sure.

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA

----------

----------

The only 3rd party app I have and have a glance for is CNN.

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
Of the times? I hadn't and I attempted a reset and the battery is too low so I cannot until later, but as of this morning it was within three minutes at the hour mark and eight minutes as the two hour mark. I assumed accidental triggering of the watchface was responsible for most but am not not so sure.

I looked back through your posts on this thread and only see battery percentages, so I'm not sure what you mean "within three minutes at the hour mark and eight minutes as the two hour mark".

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA
Here's a screenshot of my usage

I'd turn off all your 3rd party apps and see what happens. Also you said you use workout. I've read a lot of people saying the work out apps kill the battery. That stinks.

My own experiences with this; I always end the day with 40-50% left. One day I had it track an outdoor cycle ride for 2 1/2 hours. I ended the day with 13% because of it. So... No more excercising for me...I don't want to kill the battery!!!! Lol just kidding. But it is a shame that the workout apps put so much strain on the battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.