Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
in brief, my phone has suffered and broken screen in the upper left area. getting horizontal lines the full length of the left side, and touch is dead in that area. phone still charges, right side functions. i don't think it is repairable. i have a friend who has the same phone that has been shelved as they bought replacements a while ago. i need a fully working phone immediately, and haven't done the research to drop $500-$1000 on a new replacement. my phone is 128 gb, theirs is 64. i have a cloud acct., whee i have stored all photos, messages, contacts. if i optimize photos, i might be able to download the whole cloud to the 64 gb device. plus i have about 17 gb of music i need to transfer or re-download.

i replaced the battery in my damaged phone within the year. a big question: could i go to the apple store and have them swap both the battery and hd from the damaged phone to the replacement? don't know the additional cost to do that.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
in brief, my phone has suffered and broken screen in the upper left area. getting horizontal lines the full length of the left side, and touch is dead in that area. phone still charges, right side functions. i don't think it is repairable. i have a friend who has the same phone that has been shelved as they bought replacements a while ago. i need a fully working phone immediately, and haven't done the research to drop $500-$1000 on a new replacement. my phone is 128 gb, theirs is 64. i have a cloud acct., whee i have stored all photos, messages, contacts. if i optimize photos, i might be able to download the whole cloud to the 64 gb device. plus i have about 17 gb of music i need to transfer or re-download.

i replaced the battery in my damaged phone within the year. a big question: could i go to the apple store and have them swap both the battery and hd from the damaged phone to the replacement? don't know the additional cost to do that.
Apple won't swap parts from one phone to another. They will want to repair with new parts or replace the entire device for out of warranty cost.. You'll need to transfer the parts yourself.. TouchID will not work anymore unless you transfer the home button from your damaged display to the display you want to use

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
a big question: could i go to the apple store and have them swap both the battery and hd from the damaged phone to the replacement? don't know the additional cost to do that.
Apple won't swap parts from one phone to another. They will want to repair with new parts or replace the entire device for out of warranty cost.. You'll need to transfer the parts yourself.. TouchID will not work anymore unless you transfer the home button from your damaged display to the display you want to use
As @BugeyeSTI said, no.

Apple isn't a mechanic shop, they are a manufacturer who happens to provide warranty repairs for the devices they sell. This isn't a repair of damage, it's swapping parts. From their perspective you are attempting to use them, use their techs for a service they do not provide. The fact that you may be willing to pay for it, doesn't change a thing. It's not part of their business. They leave that type of thing to third party repair shops.

You'll need to either do it yourself or find a third party repair shop willing to do it for you.

Reactions: rwh63 and BugeyeSTI

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
yeah, called apple. screen alone would be $129, and i would have to send it to them. i wonder if they would just swap out the device, or do the repair. i don't use touch id, and not sure it works on 2016 se. looking at ebay replacements as well. seem to be in the $100-$130 range.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
An iPhone is an iPhone so there isn't much to research. Just upgrade to something newer and move on. I love my OGSE, and I still use it as a secondary device around the house, but now would be a good time for you to upgrade to something more modern.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
For this kind of thing, on an older phone like that, I'd look for a 3rd party repair shop and get a quote for what they'd charge. If it seems reasonable to you, and it'll get you a few more years with the phone, go for it. If it's more than you wanna spend, it might be time to say goodbye to this phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.