Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Impressed .... Not. :(

iOS9 on iPad Mini 3 64GB LTE (AT&T) - OTA update from 8.4.1 to 9.0
  • Safari choppy when fast scrolling on long web pages - smoother on 8
  • Safari cut's off and loads very slow additional pages on picture heavy sites
  • Safari - on some websites I can select an item to copy, scroll but the select box doesn't move with the screen. It does copy correctly even if not centered on original item.
  • Safari - keeps losing the login id's and passwords for saved websites.
  • Safari - at times when returning to a tab it is blank and requires manual refresh to display
  • App Store badge displays app update number even after updating app - takes up to an hour to disappear
  • Mail loads very slow
  • Mail when selected in preview sometimes requires re-select to clear unread indicator
  • Mail / Safari - opened web page via mail link. Left web be open, closed and deleted email, closed email, back in Safari the "back to email" link still active
  • Photos - More than screenshots in my screenshot album
  • Photos - selecting and sending photos via email from the photo app has serious lag
  • Settings - once again Apple turns on settings I have turned off
  • Battery - drain is substantially heavier than under iOS 8.x - have yet to determine cause
  • App launch has slowed down
  • Display - Brightness - the reset to what the OS feels like instead of what I set it too is back. Auto Brightness is turned on.
  • Apps - I'll wait till the updates roll out for the most part.
  • Keyboard - in landscape mode eats more vertical space

Overall I'm not impressed. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Impressed .... Not. :(

iOS9 on iPad Mini 3 64GB LTE (AT&T) - OTA update from 8.4.1 to 9.0
  • Safari choppy when fast scrolling on long web pages - smoother on 8
  • Safari cut's off and loads very slow additional pages on picture heavy sites
  • Safari - on some websites I can select an item to copy, scroll but the select box doesn't move with the screen. It does copy correctly even if not centered on original item.
  • Safari - at times when returning to a tab it is blank and requires manual refresh to display
  • App Store badge displays app update number even after updating app - takes up to an hour to disappear
  • Mail loads very slow
  • Mail when selected in preview sometimes requires re-select to clear unread indicator
  • Photos - More than screenshots in my screenshot album
  • Settings - once again Apple turns on settings I have turned off
  • Battery - drain is substantially heavier than under iOS 8.x - have yet to determine cause
  • App launch has slowed down
  • Display - Brightness - the reset to what the OS feels like instead of what I set it too is back. Auto Brightness is turned on.
  • Apps - I'll wait till the updates roll out for the most part.
  • Keyboard - in landscape mode eats more vertical space

Overall I'm not impressed. :rolleyes:

How long has it been since you updated? They're normally initially quite slow due to indexing. Give it a few days.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
How long has it been since you updated? They're normally initially quite slow due to indexing. Give it a few days.
Updated yesterday shortly after it came out. I am aware it should "speed up" after a couple days and restarts.
This was just my first impression based against 8.4.1 that I had earlier. I'll post an update after a couple of days...
The speed isn't so much a bother at this point rather the other items - especially Safari and the unexpected behavior of some functions....

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014

Indexing shouldn't be a problem ever. There's no reason for a device to slow down especially right after an update when people get their first impression of an OS. That indexing issue should be solved by now after 9 generations of the software...

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Hmm mine has been a bit snappier and quirkier...the only noticeable slowdown or lag I noticed was in Safari when I tried the PIP feature from a FaceTime call and tried rotating the device while browsing. But other than that, no noticeable lags or drags...yet.

rhonin

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Ventura, Ca
Hmm mine has been a bit snappier and quirkier...the only noticeable slowdown or lag I noticed was in Safari when I tried the PIP feature from a FaceTime call and tried rotating the device while browsing. But other than that, no noticeable lags or drags...yet.
Speed is the same ... slow. Choppy load on picture intensive sites is getting worse.
Now a new one ...
Safari - keeps losing the login id's and passwords for saved websites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.