Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott Baret

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
We had a similar shopping center in Pittsburgh called Northway Mall. It's still there, but was transformed significantly a few years ago into a modern center. Very little of the original remains aside from some of the internal structure, the freight elevator, etc. It opened in 1962 and was built from an old strip mall that had opened nine years earlier.

Northway was anchored by Joseph Horne, still my gold standard for department stores, and had a Woolworth that looked a LOT like the one in the link above. Horne's moved most of its operations to a newer, mode modern mall about a mile away (Ross Park Mall) and the Woolworth went out a few years before the chain went out.

This was back when malls were truly a destination. Ross Park still is because of its stores, but if you want a real destination that can actually be a real trip, it's Easton Town Center in Columbus, Ohio. (They got one of the very first Apple stores in 2001, too; bought my iMac G4 there not long after it opened). In fact, Easton will be my first post-pandemic trip since it's not too far from me and has enough dining, entertainment, and lodging alongside the retail to make it a good weekend destination.

Reactions: rneglia
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.