Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter_M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
Hi,

Just started making music in Logic Pro X again here, great software. However, I have one annoying issue I can't seem to figure out, maybe it's a bug?

The problem is when I'm recording, say in 4/4. The count-in is 1 bar, but the first quarter-note click is very low/muted, which makes it easy to get thrown off. I can't seem to fix this, can someone else here recreate the same issue? When you record stuff via midi a lot, it starts to get really annoying.

I use latest version of macOS Catalina and Logic Pro X (external USB sound card, Focusrite Claret 2Pre).

Thanks!

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Try changing the count-in to two bars. Can you then hear the first quarter note of the second bar of the count-in? Also, check your metronome settings. Make sure they look like the screenshot below. You can also edit the note number of the Bar setting to something more audible. If you can't see these settings, make sure you have "Show Advanced Tools" selected in the Logic Preferences.

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 10.17.58 PM.png

Peter_M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
Thanks for the reply. :) I haven't made any wrong settings, it must be a software bug within Logic Pro X, since sometimes I get this issue, and sometimes not.

Last edited:

Peter_M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
OK, I figured it out. It's a bug in the software. When you set I/O Buffer Size at "128", the first metronome beat (either count in or just regular metronome beat) sounds very muffled and soft, almost inaudible. If i/O Buffer Size is set at "64" or "256", it works fine. This is something Apple needs to fix.

(I have tried with two different external USB-c sound cards, and using Catalina.)

Peter_M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
Yep, a surprising oversight, since it's such a central feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.