Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rags

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2002
Re: people people

Originally posted by dongmin
I woudn't read so much into it. They may hate each other but they're both businessmen.

Apple's trying to make a buck wherever they can (esp. after the last quarter). And I'm sure Dell is happy to sell something like the iPod which prolly has much better margins than their $499 PCs.

heh our top of the line MP3 player costs as much as one of their computers :)

Wonder if that's good or bad...

If Apple would put OS X on Dell or any PC machines they would have to expand Cocoa and make it work so app's are designed to run natively on either PC or Mac hardware. If not I doubt the Mac will see much of a boost in software and the PC version will have a hard time gaining software support from the Mac version. In fact I wouldn't mind if it did this now but for Windows, I know, I know... but it sure would save me alot of time :p

I don't think this will happen with Jobs in the big seat and I actually don't mind. My Power Mac works just fine for me :D

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
My god! It IS true!

dell_ipod.jpg

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
You should check out the dell forums, here is an example of what you'll find:

-I can not tell if I have a Firewire enabled USB port so that I can connect an IPOD to my system. Can someone point me in the right direction?

-XPS T__x does not come with Firewire nor USB 2.0 which is even faster.

-i've got the 8200
what do i now need to hook the ipod up with no firewire receptacle?

Hahahaha

Attachments

• 18.gif
    18.gif
    497 bytes · Views: 284

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I think this is great. There is nothing wrong with Apple doing this. Not everyone is goign to get a mac. People will get Dells and Compaqs and so on. They have a Windows iPod, why wouldnt they sell windows ipods with windows computers. This doesnt hurt apple at all, it will just make them more money. They should do this with everyone in the PC business. Keep making money apple and lets see my stock try to go up while your at it.

iJon

Longey Nowze

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
haha

Originally posted by medea
You should check out the dell forums, here is an example of what you'll find:

-I can not tell if I have a Firewire enabled USB port so that I can connect an IPOD to my system. Can someone point me in the right direction?

-XPS T__x does not come with Firewire nor USB 2.0 which is even faster.

-i've got the 8200
what do i now need to hook the ipod up with no firewire receptacle?

Hahahaha

could you give us a link? I would like to read them LOOL!

THANK YOU
MaT

CRMarvin42

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2002
Lafayette, IN
Of Model T's and Doozners

Personally i think that dell selling apple products is a good thing. My reasoning is that Dell isn't acually competition. picture windows and intel as ford in the early years of the mass produced auto mobile. Ford was producing the exact same, car for everyone "You can buy a model T in any color you want as long as it is black" but latter came a small company that produced a car called the doozner after the sole owner, and salesman of the company.

Now if any of you have any auto history (i got mine from the history channel), you know that these two companies had very different methods. ford had privatly owned dealerships that simply sold the cars to any one and every one (dell, gate way, HP, etc.) but Dozner controled everything, you couldn't even buy a dozner without have had a meeting with the owner and gotten his permission to purchase one, and then you sat down with a designer and designed a cab so that your car was a one of a kind despite them all being built around the same chasis and engine.(apple)

now i know that apple hardware is considered to be far more restrictive than PC but the operatingsystem is where the difference lies. the stability of OS X allows modifications to the moon and back with out the fear of kill the computer.

doozner eventually went out of business for several reasons, one of them being their poor distribution. now if apple starts selling its computers thru dell it's a way of expanding their product disribution. Dell isn't a computer designer, they are little more than a dealership without anything being invested in one platform or another. If and when apple starts to challenge the PC market, Dell will jump onbord because they make a profit by selling someone elses product

(i'm well aware that i have probably gotten some of the history stuff wrong but look at the analogy i'm trying to make)

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
great idea!

This is a great idea. Dell has a big presence in the tech world, so this opens a lot of 'traffic' checking out iPods. Heck, people might go look at Apple's page and discover what Macs look like!!!

More money for Apple, more hype generated about the iPod and whatever next digital hub device might be on the way.

Let us just hope that with the Holiday season coming, AAPL will go up a few bucks :D

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Now if only Dell woulc carry... (+)

...the rest of the Apple product line, I could trap my manager at work by having him give me permission to buy "anything that's listed on Dell's webpages" :D :D :D

I do have one question with the Windows -vs- Mac iPods, though:

If I have both a PC and a Mac and I only want to own one iPod that I can freely use on both of them, which iPod do I buy? :confused:

-hh

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Re: Its great for Apple

Originally posted by jaykk
Apple is one of the most recognized brand .. I think this news is bigger than we think. Even if apple is not making any money, Apple Logo will be everywhere.. Apple's entry to corporate world is becoming a reality.

Not the corporate, the consumer products world. If you look at Apple's balance sheet for last quarter, the iPod was probably the difference between showing an operating profit and a loss. A long time ago, Uncle Steve said he was modeling Apple after Sony. Now we know how.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
This is not unbelievable news. The iPod is an MP3 player, not a computer. Dell selling iPods is a win-win for both them and Apple, and it carries no significance whatsoever with regard to future OS X platform changes.

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Whoever in Apple Marketing pulled off this deal is a friggin' genius.
I think this is the smartest move Apple's made under the iron fist of "His Steveness", although I still can't believe it's happened.
Hope they sell lots o' Pods and dump the profit into R&D

Maybe I'll order a remote from Dull....

Z

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.