Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there

I’m getting an Apple Watch on Monday. It will be my very first one. I chose the ceramic one. I’m very excited about it, I called DHL and it’s coming before 1pm.

I am going to use it to replace my Fitbit & start working out. I’d like also to follow my sleep.

I was wondering if you have any advice on the first things to do.

Mainly, I’m concerned of wearing it wrong, I tried at the Apple Store but it was a few days ago and now I forgot.

Then, there is the setup. I hope it’s not too complicated.

And finally, I want to make sure I didn’t receive a defective model. Is there some kind of checklist to follow?

When you received yours, what was the first thing you did with it?

Reactions: staggerlee41

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
No special procedure. First thing is to read any included instructions, charge the watch, turn on watch and iPhone and place them next to each other and the setup process will begin automatically. Just follow the prompts on the watch. Then go into settings>general>software update and update the software.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Thanks! Is it possible to see on the Watch the standby time and usage time? I can see it on the iPhone but not on the Watch...

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Thanks!

Another question: at work, shall I connect to the wifi? What is the difference between connecting to Bluetooth or wifi? I guess there is a difference in battery life.

I thought when my iPhone was connected to wifi, it would connect automatically the wifi to the same network on my Watch. Am I wrong?

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Thanks!

Another question: at work, shall I connect to the wifi? What is the difference between connecting to Bluetooth or wifi? I guess there is a difference in battery life.

I thought when my iPhone was connected to wifi, it would connect automatically the wifi to the same network on my Watch. Am I wrong?

yes it should mimic the phone as default. i've not tried controlling the watch to deliberately connect specific wifi networks so not sure about that.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
It’s weird because when I’m at home, I think the Watch is connected to wifi but it doesn’t show which wifi you’re connected to. Instead I can see my neighbour wifi. ?

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
So I know why. My wifi is 5 GHz & I deactivated 2.4 GHz due to interferences.
What’s the benefit of using wifi over Bluetooth on the Watch?

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Is there a benefit to use wifi over BT?

I leave both on at all times, the exception being when I am doing a major update to Watch OS. Start to download the update with both turned on and once you get to a point where it displays "time remaining" turn off bluetooth. This forces using wifi to update the watch faster than over the bluetooth connection.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Haha. I did but in the proper topic.
Here it is.

8AACFF68-3DC4-4AE6-8CD3-45CC3BD0852F.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.