Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
I've had windows all my life and never got the chance to use/buy a Mac because of its price and at the time i didnt have a job

So now that i have nearly $850 ready and set, i set my eyes on the Mac mini
reason is that i already have dual screens on my desk and buying an iMac will be a bit too crowded. and not a MacBook because i dont like laptops as much as i do for desktops

So i read some articles stating a refresh for the Mac mini might be in the works so i can wait
I'm planning on buying the wireless keyboard, magic mouse, and with a Mini Displayport to DVI Adapter along with the Mac mini
but other than that, what else do i need to know before i make my big move

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Don't buy a magic mouse unless you're absolutely sure it's comfortable for you. I bought one and my wrist went through hell for the few weeks I struggled to force myself to use it. Back to my old microsoft mouse I went.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Don't buy a magic mouse unless you're absolutely sure it's comfortable for you. I bought one and my wrist went through hell for the few weeks I struggled to force myself to use it. Back to my old microsoft mouse I went.

+1

Apple Stuff (keyboard + mouse) is not ergonomical.
Where are the good old times, when you had the Apple ADB Keyboard and mouse?

The older Apple Pro Keyboard was OK, but the new flat alu is simply awfull.

kyleh613

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
The Apple Keyboard is fantastic, but I agree that that magic mouse is not for everyone.

bkspero

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
Some other things to consider

Think about how much RAM you will want eventually, and whether you feel comfortable opening up the Mini yourself. The good news is that 4 gigs in the higher end model is probably enough for almost all uses. Also, you can get the lower end model upgraded to 4 gig by someone like MacMall at the time of ordering for about $150 (to do it yourself would cost about $100 for the RAM, and you could probably sell the old 2 gigs for about $35).

Otherwise, if you do it yourself, it can be disconcerting for several reasons. First, you are doing something that was not designed to be done by a consumer; second, the "cracking" sound that the tabs make when releasing sounds like you have just destroyed at least the case of your brand-new toy (probably not, but it sounds that way); and, third, because if you make a mistake and damage anything, the damage is not covered by warranty. If its the logic board, the cost will be at or near that of the new computer.

Second, don't expect BluRay support from OS-X. Even with an external drive. OS-X doesn't support it, and none of the rumors preceding the WWDC are suggesting that will change. You can install Windows and it will support BR, but if you're doing that, and the small size of the Mini is not a critical issue, you can spend less money and get twice the computer by getting a PC.

Consider getting an external drive to use as a Time Machine backup. It works great and gives you hands-off data security with little or no performance impact.

I too had issues with the Magic Mouse when using it for a home theater PC (alongside me). When I moved it to a desktop computer my hand position was not painful as it had been. The functionality is nice. I agree with the recommendation that you spend some time with one first.

Good luck with your purchase

thefaceless

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
England, UK
The magic mouse is definitely something that you'll need to try before buying. Some people seem to love it, others... not so much.

The keyboard you may or may not like depending on what you think of flat laptop keyboards. Personally I'd been using nothing but for years, so the full size Apple keyboard is fantastic for me. Just be prepared to air it when you get it, because it smells absolutely horrible out of the box. Or at least mine did, and there's a whole thread of other people who had the same issue.

Other than that, not sure what you 'need to know'. Can't really comment on specs until we know what we're dealing with after the refresh.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I love the magic mouse so Id definetly go with that.

Yes, but would the OP? Hard to tell without using it for awhile. I use a Razer and am in no rush to try the Magic Mouse. I guess best advice is to try it in the store and decide if there is any possibility you can get used to it--or like it better than a conventional mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.