Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superwitwicky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
I really hope someone can help me with the following; I am using LG 55inch OLED 4K TV as an external monitor for my new MacBook Pro.

I am trying to use a custom resolution of 3200x1800 instead of 4K resolution. However I don't want the screen to be stretched to fit TV, I simply want to have an active area of 3200x1800 and the rest to be black bars in order to work efficiently on TV screen at close without eyestrain.

I used to work with such setup on windows and hope I can do the same on Mac.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

superwitwicky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
I found after searching that it can be done by changing Underscan setting. However such setting isn't accessible on Monterey OS anymore.

Can anyone advise me on how to access overscan/underscan options on Monterey, please?

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
Before you choose Scaled, hold down the option key. This should give you more resolution choices.
You should also find over/underscan options on your TV, although because it's a smart TV, the menu is surely burried where they don't want you to find it, along with Uber blacks, Radiant colors, and Soap Opera Move.

superwitwicky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Thanks for your reply.
I have tried holding option key as you suggested. It shows different resolution choices but whenever I choose a lower resolution, it gets scaled to fit my entire TV screen which I don't want.
I want to project the screen on a smaller active display area (pixel-by-pixel) and fill the rest with black bars.
You can find attached a picture showing what I mean.

Attachments

• xx2IMG_5074.jpg
    xx2IMG_5074.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 78

superwitwicky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Last hope!
Anyone know an application on monterey that would allow me to display on only a portion of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.