Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you do go Android, I’d look into OnePlus if you don’t want to spend an arm and a leg. The OnePlus 5T is a crazy good deal, assuming $500+ for a phone can be considered a deal. It doesn’t have qhd or micro sd card support, but they offer a large storage option for a very reasonable price. Also has great battery life, THE BEST charging system I’ve ever used, and one of the best communities and developer scenes. You can do a lot worse for $5xx than a 5T.
Thanks, I will take a look at that.

Right now I was considering a Pixel 2 XL and a Huawei P10 Plus. Both phones were designed with a flush rear camera, something Apple seems unwilling to do (one of the major reasons my current phone is a 6s+).

I've gotten used to the size of the Apple plus phones so I'm looking at phones in that size range (or bigger).

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Thanks, I will take a look at that.

Right now I was considering a Pixel 2 XL and a Huawei P10 Plus. Both phones were designed with a flush rear camera, something Apple seems unwilling to do (one of the major reasons my current phone is a 6s+).

I've gotten used to the size of the Apple plus phones so I'm looking at phones in that size range (or bigger).
2xl is a better phone than the 5T, but at a cost. OnePlus uses an os called oxygen os, and it’s very similar to stock android. The pixel screen and camera blow the 5T away, but in terms of specs, it’s a dead heat. They both have the snapdragon 835, but the 5T offers more ram. The xl2 will also get longer support. OnePlus tends to abandon their phones when the newest one comes out. Updates also tend to take a while.

Pixel 2 xl is a hell of a phone. I’d also check the lg v30, as that’s also an amazing phone with the BEST hifi dac available.

Reactions: eyoungren

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
2xl is a better phone than the 5T, but at a cost. OnePlus uses an os called oxygen os, and it’s very similar to stock android. The pixel screen and camera blow the 5T away, but in terms of specs, it’s a dead heat. They both have the snapdragon 835, but the 5T offers more ram. The xl2 will also get longer support. OnePlus tends to abandon their phones when the newest one comes out. Updates also tend to take a while.

Pixel 2 xl is a hell of a phone. I’d also check the lg v30, as that’s also an amazing phone with the BEST hifi dac available.

The Pixel 2 XL is too big for me in looking to get the Pixel non XL. How’s that hold up?

Reactions: tonybarnaby

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Thanks!

Updates are not a big thing for me. A lot of reasons for that, but there's really nothing I do now that I didn't do in 2009 when I got my first smartphone.

I have access to multiple computers 24/7 wherever I am so my phone is used mainly as a phone. Thus, nothing has tempted me to upgrade or update really.

So, Android's general lack of timely updates is probably more in line with my outlook. ;)

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
The Pixel 2 XL is too big for me in looking to get the Pixel non XL. How’s that hold up?
It’s a solid phone. The 2xl has an lg produced amoled screen, while the regular pixel has a Samsung produced screen. The 2xl has 18:9 and smaller bezels, while the pixel 2 has some bezels. The biggest difference is the size of the phone. I’d get a pixel 2 in a heartbeat if I liked the small size.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
It’s a solid phone. The 2xl has an lg produced amoled screen, while the regular pixel has a Samsung produced screen. The 2xl has 18:9 and smaller bezels, while the pixel 2 has some bezels. The biggest difference is the size of the phone. I’d get a pixel 2 in a heartbeat if I liked the small size.

Trying to stay as close to the same size as an iPhone 6/7/8.

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
I slept for 8 hours last night and my phone lost 5% just idle. It doesn’t lose that much at work on lte, but it did on my home WiFi network. The only thing I can think of is that I have background app refresh off on lte and on while I’m on WiFi. Is losing 4-5% over 8 hours normal? I only have a few social media apps, in addition to a bunch of others.
I didn't see it mentioned before in this topic (apologies if I missed it) but is iCloud Backup turned on? It usually backs up at night when the phone is locked and connected to a charger. This could explain your minus 5%.
With my X, on the rare occasions when it's not plugged in during the night, I'll lose 2-4%, and 1-2% if I got it on airplane mode.

(I'm on iOS 9.0.2).
So, Android's general lack of timely updates is probably more in line with my outlook. ;)
So security holes that usually get patched up with system upgrades - doesn't that bother you? Or do you think it's just marketing slack?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So security holes that usually get patched up with system upgrades - doesn't that bother you? Or do you think it's just marketing slack?
Oh no. It's not a marketing thing. It's very real and I am aware of the position I place myself in.

However, I'm not one to frequent suspicious websites. Hell, 99% of my web browsing is done on my Macs or PC. If I am using my phone for the internet I am usually coming here, Google News or Reddit.

I don't shop on my phone, I don't bank on my phone (except to check balances through my banking app) or do anything else financially on my phone.

My phone is always in my possession. It's not generally loaned to anyone as most people have their own phone. And my kids do NOT use my phone (they have their own or their computers).

My point is that I'm not doing anything that is going to put me into a spot where that hole in my security by not being updated allows me to be taken advantage of.

I should add, that I also do not use my iPhone on WiFi outside of my home except on networks I either control or administer. And then only if cellular is not working (I'm not paying T-Mobile over $300 a month to use WiFi).

Last edited:
Reactions: geekiemac

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
I was just curious, as I have a somehow opposite approach. Granted, my phone usage would be akin to what OP calls "power user" as I'm using my phone throughout the day. I use it as a life organiser, a work device, a communication device, an entertainment device, a database... etc. So I like to think about it as a fortress that I'll do my best to keep safe (we swiss love a good mountain fortress). Hence, I upgrade as often as I can.

My point is that I'm not doing anything that is going to put me into a spot where that hole in my security by not being updated allows me to be taken advantage of.
I understand your point and agree the risk is minimal. But threats may also come from serious and reputable sites that for some reason have been compromised, thus spreading malware. It's way more rare on iOS but it has happened before.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts and kudos for the longevity of your device (I had the same for over 2 years before switching recently to iPhone X, and truth be said, even tough on iOS 11.2, it is still performing just fine).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was just curious, as I have a somehow opposite approach. Granted, my phone usage would be akin to what OP calls "power user" as I'm using my phone throughout the day. I use it as a life organiser, a work device, a communication device, an entertainment device, a database... etc. So I like to think about it as a fortress that I'll do my best to keep safe (we swiss love a good mountain fortress). Hence, I upgrade as often as I can.

I understand your point and agree the risk is minimal. But threats may also come from serious and reputable sites that for some reason have been compromised, thus spreading malware. It's way more rare on iOS but it has happened before.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts and kudos for the longevity of your device (I had the same for over 2 years before switching recently to iPhone X, and truth be said, even tough on iOS 11.2, it is still performing just fine).
Yeah, there is always the risk of a legit site being compromised.

However, again, that's far more likely to occur with one of my Macs then it it with my iPhone (although payloads generally are not being targeted at PowerPC Macs). I'm far more comfortable using the computers I have around me for web browsing than I am my iPhone. As large as a plus is it cannot compete with the 17" screens on my PowerBook G4, my MBP or the six displays I have attached to my Quad G5, or the three displays attached to my Mac Pro at work (one of which is 30").

Our TV is a 52" HD Plasma so I'm watching movies on that, not my iPhone :D

I will say I've lately had more than one phishing text message trying to confirm my phone number. That's scary if you understand that T-Mobile has been going through a rash of SIM hijacking where customers are finding their phone numbers have been taken over or ported out.

Reactions: geekiemac

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Only thing I’m afraid I’ll really miss is iMessage.
Why?

Other than the fact that iMessage allows you to avoid any carrier charges or restrictions on text messaging what's the difference between it and SMS/MMS?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Why?

Other than the fact that iMessage allows you to avoid any carrier charges or restrictions what's the difference between it and SMS/MMS?

When you have kids you know when text was delivered or read. Also the ‘bubble’ know your kids are responding.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
When you have kids you know when text was delivered or read. Also the ‘bubble’ know your kids are responding.
I’m on T-Mobile, and when you send a message from one android on T-Mobile to another, you get the same thing as iMessage. You can see that they viewed it, and can see when they are typing. The only difference is with how the phone relays the read info.

If you send an iMessage at 2:31 and they read it at 3:05, iMessage will tell you they read it at 3:05. On my s8+, it would have said delivered until it was read, and then just “read”, but didn’t specify what time they read it. Not sure if that matters to you, but it’s something I very recently noticed. Not sure when it was implemented, but I believe it’s maybe a T-Mobile thing. I didn’t get any read notifications when I texted people on sprint or Verizon.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’m on T-Mobile, and when you send a message from one android on T-Mobile to another, you get the same thing as iMessage. You can see that they viewed it, and can see when they are typing. The only difference is with how the phone relays the read info.

If you send an iMessage at 2:31 and they read it at 3:05, iMessage will tell you they read it at 3:05. On my s8+, it would have said delivered until it was read, and then just “read”, but didn’t specify what time they read it. Not sure if that matters to you, but it’s something I very recently noticed. Not sure when it was implemented, but I believe it’s maybe a T-Mobile thing. I didn’t get any read notifications when I texted people on sprint or Verizon.
That's probably RCS.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
I disabled all background app refresh last night as a test. I only lost 1% over 7 hours of sleep. I guess app refresh is the reason for the drain.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Downloaded Lirum Info app thanks to the suggestion from someone on here. I got the $2.99 paid version and I love it!! Only thing missing is battery cycles, but that’s not available on iOS 11.

It also shows health at 104%. How accurate can this info be if it doesn’t know cycle count? Is it a pure guess?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Downloaded Lirum Info app thanks to the suggestion from someone on here. I got the $2.99 paid version and I love it!! Only thing missing is battery cycles, but that’s not available on iOS 11.

It also shows health at 104%. How accurate can this info be if it doesn’t know cycle count? Is it a pure guess?

Why pay $2.99? There’s a free version.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Why pay $2.99? There’s a free version.
I had the free one first and liked it, so I bought the paid version to support the developer. I appreaciate an app like this, and developers appreciate the support so they keep updating their apps.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
One more thing I was wondering is can you make the battery icon green/red/yellow while using the phone? When you plug it in, it turns green. Can I always have the color reflect the charge level, or does it have to be plugged in? Right now it’s the default black and white. Thanks
Dude this is apple....There is no option......

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Dude this is apple....There is no option......
If it can be displayed green while charging, it makes sense it should work while in use. I’ve never been in power saving mode, but isn’t that yellow even while in use?

Edit: just tried, and it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.